The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up 4800lbs of deer corn Sunday and plan on loading it in the bed of my truck. Ill be driving about 200 miles to the ranch while pulling a trailer . Will my truck be ok or is that to much weight in the bed?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
This info should be in your owners manaul. You will also want to check yoyr GVWR. And the weight of your license plate.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I usually like to stop adding weight when the rear bumper has about 1/2" clearance to the pavement.....

I've hauled 2.5 tons in a 3/4 ton truck many, many times for extended distances. However, every single 3/4, or one ton truck I've owned have had full floating hubs; none have had semi floating hubs where the axle shaft carries the weight of the truck and cargo.

I'd stop at 50 mile intervals and look for grease seals leaking in the hubs. The single rear wheel pickups like to leak there and the extra heat built up in the bearings from the weight will cause a marginal seal to leak. I'd trust 50 miles myself and further with a break, but 200 at highway speeds is a bit too much to ask IMO.

·
4 Posts
Tires are the weakest point.
Check the tire load capacity.
4800 pounds will be excessive.
A thought is that no one single tire is holding all the weight up, but also consider that weight shifts during cornering so the tires on one side of the vehicle may see more than gravitational weight for a short moment...

·
31 Posts
my 2008 f-350 6.4l crewcab weighs 8,000 EMPTY (with me and full tank of fuel) on a certified scale. Max Gross weight rating is 11,400 I think that calculates out to 3,400 lbs cargo.. The sales brochures also have calculation/load ratings in them. Just one more thought: If your 50 miles from your load up point and 150 miles to home with 800 lbs overweight and you see leaking axle seals, who are you going to sell 800 lbs of corn to on the side of the road??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts