The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 6.4 , Just wondering what you diesel techs in the forum may think about this, changing my oil every 6 months seems a little extreme to me and that is what im being told. I think once a year would be enough. Example-aug 2012 oil/filt change now have only 1,500 miles on oil/filt. For dealer to $100.00 a pop is alot, It looks like even if i do myself its 89.00 for oil and filter and I will have to get rid of all that oil. Thanks for your advice.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On my 2008 6.4 with 22,000 miles , I normally tow a 7000 lb TT may-oct about 6-8 times 200-800 miles each time. Just wondering what you diesel techs in the forum may think about this, changing my oil every 6 months seems a little extreme to me and that is what im being told. I think once a year would be enough. Example-aug 2012 oil/filt change now have only 1,500 miles on oil/filt. For dealer to $100.00 a pop is alot, It looks like even if i do myself its 89.00 for oil and filter and I will have to get rid of all that oil. Thanks for your advice.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the response. I have an extended warentee untill 75,000 miles or april 2015. Please, when u say" ford" Do you mean the "OWNERS MANUAL" ? Or do you mean what the dealership says. I dont remember what the manual says but I think it said mine was NOT "extreme" use, so oil change is every 10,000 miles or annually. Since I only tow a light load 5-8 times a year. Thanks again.

·
147 Posts
Thanks very much for the response. I have an extended warentee untill 75,000 miles or april 2015. Please, when u say" ford" Do you mean the "OWNERS MANUAL" ? Or do you mean what the dealership says. I dont remember what the manual says but I think it said mine was NOT "extreme" use, so oil change is every 10,000 miles or annually. Since I only tow a light load 5-8 times a year. Thanks again.
Do what the manual says. If an extra $100 / year is a deal breaker, you shouldn't be driving a diesel.

·
3,533 Posts
I always recommend at least once a year, no matter the mileage, and twice a year if used all year but low mileage,

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks alot guys. after reading all the manuals and books that came with the truck they all say every 6 months regardless of the miles if you tow with it at all. even the quick guide i still have says it. I will still prob go with once a year after the tow season so it sits with fresh oil in it. I do drive it once or twice a month to work just to get it up to temps. I think it would be better to have it sit with fresh oil than with the used oil with some fuel in it.(we all know there is some fuel in the oil).

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I have a customer that does much the same with his 08 6.4 in an F250 with the exception of pulling a horse trailer. We pull oil samples on his every six months and send them to the "Cat Lab" for analysis as the cost is neglegible. So far none of the samples have come back showing negative trends. The oil is changed bi-annually anyway. This truck however does not stay parked out of doors unless at a show.

My hobby trucks are changed bi-annually also, but they reside inside the shop which is heated in the winter. Of the couple that are operable, these may get 500 miles per year.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks backslap. My truck is garaged. That's encouraging that his oil showed nothing. But i see he does follow the manf reccomendation and changes every 6 months, im prob gonna do that to depending on when and if i have the cash, but will allways change once a year. Thanks again.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Thanks backslap. My truck is garaged. That's encouraging that his oil showed nothing. But i see he does follow the manf reccomendation and changes every 6 months, im prob gonna do that to depending on when and if i have the cash, but will allways change once a year. Thanks again.
Sorry if I was confusing but the oil is changed in the 6.4 every two years, (bi annual) not twice a year, (semi annual). I follow the same rule of thumb as most of my hobby truck engines are "wet liner" and oil sampling will detect coolant leaking past the sealing rings even from setting.

I'm a large fan of oil sampling as oil does not actually wear out. It becomes polluted and chemically changes from holding external influences in suspension until it does not perform it's job as well as it should. This is where oil sampling helps a lot. The oil is changed only when it is degrading from it's original form, fit, and function. The cost is less than $25.00 from a Caterpillar lab that is local, and only takes a day for results.

I don't advocate anyone varying from good maintenance practices no matter what they do. One cannot "over maintain" anything when it comes to lubrication. Just relaying what works very well for me, and is referred to my customer base with their vehicles.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is bad azz info, thanks very much, i usually take extremly good care of my equipment and TRY to do the right thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts