The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm running the 275 tune consistently and find my truck de-fuels quite often when mashing on it. I've tried 310 and 250 tunes as well and same thing, truck barley ran with the 310. I've bumped up my EGRTA to 1700 degrees F and the RPM settings are sitting at 4500. Anything I should be doing different (other then keeping my foot outta the oil pan)?

·
1,415 Posts
DO you have any codes? the 250 and above are not suppost to defuel unless your tranny is slipping in other words there is no safetys. the alarms you are setting on the DD do not cause it to defuel. Mine will pull till she blows im sure if i let her.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
bud is right there is no safeties,

my guess is its not defueling you got issues. How long have you been running the high hp tunes?? if you haven't cycled down to a smaller tune you could have a plugged EGR, but you should be seeing some codes of some sort

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been running the 275 for about 2 months now and I have tuned down a few times since to cycle the EGR. I do notice the EGRTA getting up to around 1300 degrees F so was thinking this would be something completely different..... This kinda sucks now!

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Do you watch the EGR cycle on the DD?? sounds similar to mine when it went but I had a code?

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had the EGR replaced about 2 months ago. When I'm walkin on it they sure climb fast. normal driving it'll sit around 5-600F. the only code I could get was P1000. other then that there's nothing else popping up.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
change your fuel filters.Keep an eye on your rail pressure after changing the filters.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel filters are two months old but I did end up getting new ones (not yet installed) a week ago due to some surging issues. Fuel rail pressure never gets up very high, I've never seen it get up to 30000 psi range anyway. What were you thinkin with the fuel filters anyway?

·
1,415 Posts
the highest you should see is about 27,000 psi i beleve.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
My truck defueled a lot too. I made to passes down the track one night with the 275 and she defueled right after the 1/8th both runs. not sure if my 250 has ever defueled. i know my lower tunes haven't.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
The truck will defuel if there is a % of slip in the clutch packs. That what this sounds like. And it wont throw a code unless the slip gets to a certain level. Mine would do it if I drove it nice for most of the time and then got on to it hard. You will have to drive some what aggressively to tighten the tranny up. These trannies are always adapting to personal driving styles. If you drive it gently. The tranny softens up. If you drive hard all the time. The tranny stays tight just like when you load the tune.

Reflash and get rough with the throttle before heading to the track. That should stop the defueling. Same goes if your out for a cruise and want to hunt down some cummins' and Maxipads.

Colton. I would imagine that is what caused your premature tranny issues. I have got 100,000miles on my tranny and its running like new...Knock on wood.

So is my engine nowLOLLOLLOLLOL

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My fuel rail pressure (from what i've noticed) has never really gotten that high. I'm gonna load up 275 and down today and do some "off-road" testing.. But from the sounds of things a suncoast is in the works. Already spoke with Ron this AM.

·
Boost Junky
37 Posts
When you guys refer to defueling, are you experiencing a hard fuel cut?

I've got the SCT from Innovative and twice, I've had the truck hit a hard cut. Both times it happened, I just made a turn from an intersection straightened the truck out and then went WOT. The truck accelerates and then suddenly cuts off hard, after lifting and rolling back in the throttle everything is fine. Would this possibly be related to the transmission cut? Fuel level both times was in excess of 2/3 tank.

·
1,415 Posts
Yes that would be a defuel

Reactions: Viper TT

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Colton. I would imagine that is what caused your premature tranny issues. I have got 100,000miles on my tranny and its running like new...Knock on wood.
I was born with a abnormally heavy right foot, if it has tires and a motor i will run it hard. companies should pay me to test their products for durability LOL

When you guys refer to defueling, are you experiencing a hard fuel cut?

I've got the SCT from Innovative and twice, I've had the truck hit a hard cut. Both times it happened, I just made a turn from an intersection straightened the truck out and then went WOT. The truck accelerates and then suddenly cuts off hard, after lifting and rolling back in the throttle everything is fine. Would this possibly be related to the transmission cut? Fuel level both times was in excess of 2/3 tank.
Yes when feel that fuel cut your truck is defueling. It usually just falls on its face and if your not buckled in you might loose a tooth on your steering wheel.

Reactions: Viper TT

·
Boost Junky
37 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts