The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old is too old ?

I'm looking to buy a Pete 379 or 359 to pull a flatbed. I will be running short runs of less than 500 miles a day, 4 to 5 days a week.

I'd like a pre-egr 2002 or older truck with a 63", 48" or 36" flattop.

I'm looking at a couple of trucks: A '96 379 and an '87 359. Both have 3406cat's, one has a 13 spd od and the other has a 15 spd od, both have .350 rears. Both have, both have alot of miles, though they have been taken good care of.

·
Big Cam Power!!!!!
484 Posts
I make all my money with old iron...your truck must match the work you doing

·
2,824 Posts
If there isn't a requirement from who you work for, buy something that you like, they all take upkeep no matter what the trucks age. The 96 may have an electronic engine in it, the older one is a mechanical, if the 96 is electronic it could be made to get pretty decent fuel mileage.

Just cause their old don't mean they can't be good trucks, of course the those would be new trucks to me. LoL

Reactions: LOG HAULER

·
990 Posts
Most companies you'd lease to have limitations on truck age. Very few make leases with even well maintained older tractors. That's one more good reason to get your own operating authority and run under your own flags...indepedently. I'm curious if load board brokers and/or companies that list there frequently impose age restrictions.

·
106 Posts
old iron

people think im crazy for running 86 k100 from ont to bc 3 times a month . i dont think im that crazy when i pass new trucks on the side of the road thats broke down . i had rad hose blow one day . my own fault i knew i was bad . older trucks dont have as much to depend on to go up and down the road . new trucks dosent matter if you fix them right when you have a problem and the dealer says THERE IS NO PROBLEM the computer says so it must be how your driving it .hmmmm ok thanks for charging me for that diagnostic anlal ***** *****

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most companies you'd lease to have limitations on truck age. Very few make leases with even well maintained older tractors. That's one more good reason to get your own operating authority and run under your own flags...indepedently. I'm curious if load board brokers and/or companies that list there frequently impose age restrictions.
My own authority is what I'm working toward, Rogerstar1. Thanks.

·
4,827 Posts
MBN was the bridge motor prior to the ACERT. Still a single turbo. The timing is retarded in it, in stock form, for emissions. Love mine, but the EGTs are higher than I like to see. Has a electronic wastegate controller, so I can't really do anything about it without a different flash file.

·
Tribal
167 Posts
I am still running my 82 359 under my own authority. never a problem with any brokers, just be confident you can get the job done as they request. The ONLY real problem I have is the MPG issue so my rates are higher than most. I don't haul, EVER, cheap *** freight as I would rather put some of my previous profit in my fuel tank and go get another better paying load. It's that simple and if more would do it, we wouldn't have to contend with ridiculous rates..Leasing on to someone is a whole different situation, probably the oldest Ive seen aloud is 15 years..Steel haulers can get away with it as the loads are generally short haul..IMHO...

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MBN was the bridge motor prior to the ACERT. Still a single turbo. The timing is retarded in it, in stock form, for emissions. Love mine, but the EGTs are higher than I like to see. Has a electronic wastegate controller, so I can't really do anything about it without a different flash file.
Thank you, bmoeller.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am still running my 82 359 under my own authority. never a problem with any brokers, just be confident you can get the job done as they request. The ONLY real problem I have is the MPG issue so my rates are higher than most. I don't haul, EVER, cheap *** freight as I would rather put some of my previous profit in my fuel tank and go get another better paying load. It's that simple and if more would do it, we wouldn't have to contend with ridiculous rates..Leasing on to someone is a whole different situation, probably the oldest Ive seen aloud is 15 years..Steel haulers can get away with it as the loads are generally short haul..IMHO...
Thank you, tribaltrans. Good info.

·
168 Posts
I too run older iron (1989). Im very careful how I shift and pull hills so even tho its a mechanical engine I can out do many new trucks in the mpg department. I am currently hauling palletised loads that catch lots of wind, which Im working of fixing. By late summer I would hope to be up around 7mpg or better.

When I think about getting another truck, I only shop for those that do not have a computer controlling the engine. Old Macks, 3406s and BC4s catch my eye.

I am also not the cheapest truck to hire but Im selling excellent service. Most of my loads deliver less than 130 miles from the shipper.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I too run older iron (1989). Im very careful how I shift and pull hills so even tho its a mechanical engine I can out do many new trucks in the mpg department. I am currently hauling palletised loads that catch lots of wind, which Im working of fixing. By late summer I would hope to be up around 7mpg or better.

When I think about getting another truck, I only shop for those that do not have a computer controlling the engine. Old Macks, 3406s and BC4s catch my eye.

I am also not the cheapest truck to hire but Im selling excellent service. Most of my loads deliver less than 130 miles from the shipper.
Thank you, Flyingpig.

·
Tribal
167 Posts

I work the same way, when you figure out how to get 7mpg, you won't have to work another day in your life..Even bob-tailing, with old iron, it isn't realistic. The engines we have (A model Cat here) were designed when economy wasn't an issue. I wish it were true as I would still be striving in this business if I could get EVEN 6mpg...not 4.5-5. Truth...

TrIbAl

Now, I had an 89 KW COE, 425B, which I got 7mpg..I don't know the gears however it had a 9 speed and topped out at 84mph @ 80k gross..I could "Glide" over Jelico in 7th gear fully loaded..That was one truck, other than the spring ride, I wish I would of kept..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts