The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my truck lifted (10" on 40's) and installed my sct....Wow it feels like a race truck even being that big compared to when it was stock and not lifted. I absolutley love it but I have not installed exhaust and was wondering how high those EGT's are getting. I do not tow but just wanted to know how much power am I adding with the street tune and if it is that safe???

·
1,661 Posts
are you refering to the canned street, or custom street tunes?either one if drove normally will be ok,but if you like to get on it alot and stay on it ,I would recommend an exhaust and gauges,and start saving up for head studs. Do some searches on this site to find out what is recommended for these trucks. WELCOME TO TDG!!

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was refering to the canned Street tune or the one pre loaded. I dont plan on having a race truck just wanted to pump it up a little. I do plan on getting the 4" MBRP no cat soon just wanted to make sure I was okay for now. Thanks for your help..:happymugs

Next Mods....ARP Studs and EGR delete

·
1,661 Posts
as long as you don't stay on it for to long you should be ok,IMO I would start with sct,exhaust,and gauges,exhaust will help it to breath better,and gauges to monitor engine to help find possible issuse that might happen. hopefully other members will chime in with thier opinions.

Reactions: sicktaco

·
3,306 Posts
I would also recommend a fuel pressure gauge. This is because my buddy has an '05 and with the same canned street tune, fuel pressure would drop from 48psi to almost 35psi on a hard run at WOT and under 45psi of fuel pressure isn't good. So i ended up shimming the factory fuel pressure regulator with the bb and that raised it to 58psi. But now his truck has a FASS stand alone system at 60psi and fuel pressure never drops below 55psi when at WOT.

·
1,570 Posts
If you have stock 3.73 gears still, go lower before you spend money on exhaust, otherwise you'll be spending the money on a new tranny. With 40s I'd go with at least 4.56s, preferably 4.88s.

·
3,051 Posts
Get your exhaust(turbo back) and egt probe installed asap. High gearing and power tuned=high egt's. Make sure the cat is deleted with your exhaust system, or your egt drop will be not much better than a stock exhaust. Harry

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would run it stock and not worry about egt's. I have been told by multiple sources that as long as you dont tow with a hot tune, then there is not a need for an exhaust and gauges. You also need to drive the truck like an adult. From my research, it apears as though an exhaust does not drop egt's all that much. my .02

·
1,570 Posts
I would run it stock and not worry about egt's. I have been told by multiple sources that as long as you dont tow with a hot tune, then there is not a need for an exhaust and gauges. You also need to drive the truck like an adult. From my research, it apears as though an exhaust does not drop egt's all that much. my .02
Big tires with stock gears puts a similar load on the powertrain as towing does. The engine and transmission see more torque at lower speeds.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
From my research, it apears as though an exhaust does not drop egt's all that much. my .02
Not sure what you call "all that much" but mine are down roughly 200° compared to the stock exhaust system.

·
1,660 Posts
i agree with re gearing it. With those 40's you are already adding extra stress to the engine. then by adding the street tune you multiply that. Id re gear it first. Not to mention that would make the truck wake up even more.

·
811 Posts
I dont run the preprogrammed tune but each tune varies. Get gauges.At 80 mph on the freeway I have a tune that runes 200 degrees hotter than my others, and when you romp on it it doesnt take much to get up into the high numbers.. LOL. Not expensive and wasn't hard to install plus they look cool.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I dont run the preprogrammed tune but each tune varies. Get gauges.At 80 mph on the freeway I have a tune that runes 200 degrees hotter than my others, and when you romp on it it doesnt take much to get up into the high numbers.. LOL. Not expensive and wasn't hard to install plus they look cool.
:whs

·
634 Posts
SCT are pretty safe, most people go with Innovative for tunes, very reptuable, Definitely get a EGT Probe, and Studs and get rid of your EGR cooler, otherwise you"ll be changing them all the damn time.

·
102 Posts
I would run it stock and not worry about egt's. I have been told by multiple sources that as long as you dont tow with a hot tune, then there is not a need for an exhaust and gauges. You also need to drive the truck like an adult. From my research, it apears as though an exhaust does not drop egt's all that much. my .02[/QUO

I strongly disagree with this statement. The exhaust made a noticeable difference, so does an aftermarket airbox. And you can easily hit max temps with a hot tune. My DJ's Looney runs the coolest, but some of these other tuners run hot with minimal effort.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Just got my truck lifted (10" on 40's) and installed my sct....Wow it feels like a race truck even being that big compared to when it was stock and not lifted. I absolutley love it but I have not installed exhaust and was wondering how high those EGT's are getting. I do not tow but just wanted to know how much power am I adding with the street tune and if it is that safe???

I have a 2005 F250 w/ manual tranny.

4.5" lift and 41" IROK's,
4.56 gears, lockers in both axles, 4" turbo back MBRP, dead cat,
fuel/tranny/EGT/boost gauges,...and a couple other things.

I run an extreme race tune,..I have for 3 years straight....

I beat the dog chit out of my truck, popped the head gaskets, and still drive it like an idiot,...

I weigh a bit more than you,...here are the reading on my gauges @ 90* air temps,
and it will also give you an idea on RPM's with 41's and 4.56 gears.

Reactions: bootcamp

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
This is me towing with my race tune...... Never had a problem, pulled from Mobile, AL to Daytona Beach, Fl and back. :thumbsup

·
Cloud Booster 500HP
268 Posts
Penske driver pooped when what he thought he heard the tunnel collapsing .:haha

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
Penske driver pooped when what he thought he heard the tunnel collapsing .:haha
Best part was at the end of the tunnel. it's hard to see, but there is a mini van next to me.... when i punched it, she was right at my exhaust..... with the window down...LOL Didn't really mean to do it, but happened to be in the wrong spot with her window down....:haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts