The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take me through your own personal ¼ mile routine. I would like to know how to get these heavy beasts moving. I myself have an automatic, but wouldn’t mind hearing from the stick guys as well.

How do you launch?

What gear?

T-case? (if applicable)

RPM? (launch & shift)

Other strategies.........?

Thanks BK>

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
I dont ever go down the track, but on the streets i throw it in 4wd, build around 15lbs of boost, hold on and let it rip.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
works for the track too.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
How much boost is best for launching?

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
before the tire starts A.)hopping or B.)Tires squeal...a lil tire spin isn't terrible

15-18 psi...lower tire pressure to half what the sidewall says...4 wheel drive...hang on

·
171 Posts
was at the track yesterday night. 15lbs boost launch 4x4 . did 8.73 @78mph. 1/8 miles. drag about 20 time between 8.73 and 8.85. what mod can i do to my truck to get a little more. i'm running 275 spartan, banks intake dpf delete pipe. do you think a flo-pro 4'' straight pipe can could help a lot??? was the fastest pick-up there yesterday. planning try again in 2 weeks. also i have an aluminium tool box with 250-300 pound of tool in it, do you think it could make a big difference to remove it before drag??? :)

·
673 Posts
tool box and spare tire...also 1/4 tank of, at the most, of fuel :happymugs

·
568 Posts
...a lil tire spin isn't terrible
A little tire spin stops you from breaking stuff. Imagine the stress put on parts if it dead hooks.

also i have an aluminium tool box with 250-300 pound of tool in it, do you think it could make a big difference to remove it before drag??? :)
THEORETICALLY 100# is supposed to be worth 1/10 sec in the 1/4 mile

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
A little tire spin stops you from breaking stuff. Imagine the stress put on parts if it dead hooks.

Imagine the launch it would have if it did dead hook and didnt break.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
10% slip is accually faster off the line then a hard hook up. The trick is to manage the slip without burning up the tires.

·
673 Posts

·
568 Posts

·
Texas Member
678 Posts
I always run in 4 hi and hold the brake and build up boost to about 18psi
launch as soon as you see the 3rd yellow light
:coal

·
Texas Member
678 Posts

x2:thumbsup

·
80 Posts
I am going to take mine to Milan in the next couple of weeks. I think I am going to make my own 4" DPF delete back pipe out of aluminum to save a bunch of weight and add a little power too.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
10% slip is accually faster off the line then a hard hook up. The trick is to manage the slip without burning up the tires.
How exactly do you manage slip? I did a 4wd launch at 15psi with the 210 and noticed a little bit of tread left on the street.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
It's more revelent with a 2wd set up. Trust me though. If your going to get in a hp race. Managing slip will become an issue.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Hmm i see. So how you liking the new studs?

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
You do not want 100% traction because then thinhs start to break. Let the traction be the slightly weak point for lack of better words.
I have run a few simes and I manually lock the hubs so that they are not trying to engage or disengage. I put it in 4hi and drive around the burnout box.
I have seen boost at the line pushing 25lbs. I try for the most I can get.
As soon as the last ambers light I let of the brake and it's hammer down til the 1/4 marker.
Stock I ran a 16.5 And with the Spartan 210 I ran a 14.5 with 200lbs of crap in the vehicle.

·
53 Posts
You do not want 100% traction because then thinhs start to break. Let the traction be the slightly weak point for lack of better words.
I have run a few simes and I manually lock the hubs so that they are not trying to engage or disengage. I put it in 4hi and drive around the burnout box.
I have seen boost at the line pushing 25lbs. I try for the most I can get.
As soon as the last ambers light I let of the brake and it's hammer down til the 1/4 marker.
Stock I ran a 16.5 And with the Spartan 210 I ran a 14.5 with 200lbs of crap in the vehicle.
X2

I did a 2 wheel drive burnout to get the water off my tires then locked it in 4 wheel drive....i also lowered my tire pressure to about 50 cause i roasted all 4 the first time...i would boost around 20 the leave as soon as you see that third yellow light...Have Fun!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts