The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1972 ford 3000 3 cylinder diesel tractor rated I think at 37 HP or so. I want more power out of it. I am thinking about getting the injectors extrude honed and turn up the injector pump. How do I turn up the injector pump? I know this motor is popular. Also what if I put I turbo on the tractor off like a first gen dodge cummins 5.9? What kinda power would or could I make? anybody got anymore ideas for power? thanks

·
2,509 Posts
do you know what engine it has in it? I'm going to assume its probably a yanmar engine because they are pretty popular in that size tractor. I don't know much about them but I do know there are ways of getting quite a bit more power out of them.
I bet a 5.9 turbo would be to big, maybe you could find one off of a small Perkins engine or something.

Good luck

G

·
It has a 3cyl Ford engine in it with possibly a Lucas injection system. I am not sure how to telly ou to turn it up without knowing what pump is on it. A 1st gen turbo would be WAY too big. Remember the engine is only as strong as it's weakest link. That will be the bottom end or head gasket. Also be careful of the rearend, it can only take so much.

·
Farmer
122 Posts
That tractor has a ford built diesel engine in it... and it should have the CAV fuel system on it if I remember right... at any rate it should be the same way to turn up as turning up an old rosa-master pump... take off the top of the pump, remove the spring that runs down the center of the pump and then rotate the engine until the little allen head screw comes up in the window inside the pump then give it a quarter turn or so and see what that gives you... also you might wanna pull the injectors and have them checked that way you know they are still up on there pop-off pressures... sorry for the long post too lol:poke:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts