The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of us show frustration with the task of loading the Extreme Tune Software to add/remove files for our SCT I will try to give some instructions on it..... I am no Software WIZ, but I will do my best to help everybody out here.

1. Go to SCT's Website to their Downloads section http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php From here you will need to download
Xtreme Personal Tuning Software - Full Install 1.1.1
Xtreme Personal Tuning Software - Update 1.1.3
XCalibrator 2 Drivers N/A

In that order.... Your computer should automatically install The Xtreme Personal Tuning Software Versions 1.1.1 & 1.1.3...... The hard part comes when we have to install the drivers.

2. When you go to install the drivers, you want to save them to a specific location and remember it. I reccomend C:\Program Files\SCT\SCTuning.

3. Next you need to identify what COM port you're on and install the drivers.
Right Click on "My Computer" It will bring up a menu to the side click on "Properties". The System Properties window comes up, click on the "Hardware" tab, Then under the "Hardware" tab select "Device Manager".

4. Once Device Manager comes up look about 3/4 of the way down the page and you will see "Ports COM & LPT" Click on that to expand. It will show all of you COM ports. At this time plug in your Xcal2 using the supplied USB cable. Your computer should detect the device it should display USB <->Serial.

5. Right Click on the USB<->Serial , a menu will pop up and select Update Drivers. Then Installation Wizard will come up. Select "Yes,this time only" and hit Next. Then select "Install from a list or specific location"

6. At the next window un-check "Search removable media". Check Include from a specific location. Hit the "Browse" button and go through the prompts to end up at C:\Program Files\SCT\SCTuning.

7. Windows will begin to search for the best driver out of that file. You will first need to select the one of the two choices it gives you. Select the one with the file name not the window update.

8. After that is finished installing, Unplug the Xcal2 and then re-plug the Xcal2. Go back to device manager, repeat steps 5-7 except this time install the windows update.

9. Go back to device manager and take note of what COM port the Xcal2 is recognized as. It will be titled USB Serial Port (COM X)(X will be a number)

10. Everything is installed :popcorn:

11. For information on how to run your Extreme Tune software you can use this link http://www.sctflash.com/docs/extreme_Tune.htm . It is a video guide on how to use some of the features of the Extreme Tune Software.

If anyone has any questions regarding the install you can contact myself, your SCT dealer, or SCT direct.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
My computer seems alot faster when I have my SCT hooked up to it :shrug:

Nice job Jason, but can you also explain the SCT lock/ unlock thing I don't get it.

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
FYI - on my XP laptop I didn't have to install drivers...
it knowed it were there as soon as I hooked up the usb cable...

·
like my new truck dad!
39 Posts
i tried with my street file loaded in the truck, and no can do. do i need to have the stock tune back in the truck.

i tried the tow tune while street was i the truck?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pirogue said:
i tried with my street file loaded in the truck, and no can do. do i need to have the stock tune back in the truck.

i tried the tow tune while street was i the truck?
I always tell everyone to return it back to stock before trying to change files. I honestly could not tell you if you have to or not b/c that is the only way I do it. Also the only way I tell my customers to do it.

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
Pirogue,
depends on what you are trying to do...

It is simple software, just SCT made the interface as non-intuitive and difficult as they could...

If you are trying to load another tune onto the XCal - u don't need to go back to stock... just overlay the right "slot" with your new tune and then you can load onto your truck...

If you are trying to update the XCal's FIRMWARE (not a tune! but the "operating" version of the XCal itself) you SHOULD go back to stock first....

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SCT's site has been updated. Since I cannot edit the original post this is the software you're looking for:

Other Software SCT Xtreme Tune Software: Application: 9100, 9300 & 9400 Flash Devices ONLYThis is our older software, that allows on PC adjustments to XTR files for your Xcalibrator 1,2 or 9100 tuner. Note, you must start with the *.XTR file from your dealer, make changes in this software, and then program the final custom tune back to your flash device. If you use Xtreme Tune to make adjustments to your tune, you will lose the On Device adjustability if the Xcalibrator 2 was equipped. Primarily designed for the 9100 and 9300 tuners, but will work on the 9400 as well.

You must uninstall any previous versions of Xtreme Tune before installing.
Click Here To DownloadXtreme Tune Software - Full InstallVersion:1.1.6

·
Registered
58 Posts
That software to update the firmware on the SCT itself says right on it when you're doing the firmware update says that you MUST return the truck to stock before doing the update

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
nice write up Jason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts