The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for toby & mike and anyone that needs to know.first off you should check your fuel pressure to see if you have another issue,like a bad pump or a inlet restriction. fuel pressure spec. is 45 psi min. inlet restriction is 6'' hg max. shimming the regulator will yeild about a 4-8psi increase in pressure. i dont advise shimming the pressure above 60psi with a stock pump and injectors. shimming the regulator will insure your injectors dont suffer low pressure on a hard accell or heavy loaded hill climb. all the trucks i have tested have an average of 4psi drop in pressure when you load the engine. fuel pressure at or below 45psi should have a new pump installed. all that is needed to shim the regulter is a bb from a bb gun this works best(tryed all kinds of stuff) the regulater is on the side of the engine mounted fuel filter housing,unhook the return line then take out the 4 tourq screws. at the bottom of the regulater housing is a spring that fits into a brass cup. the bb goes into the brass cup then the spring. with the bb in the cup it acts as a spacer and stiffins the spring. the housing has a 0-ring shaped gasket that can be reused. the return line has a 0-ring on the housing side that will reseal too. at the top of the filter housing is a small white plastic piece this is the air bleed dont loose it,most of them stay in place.you will have to hold the regulater cover in place to get the screws started because the spring will hang out more,put everything back together and prim the fuel system like you changed the filters. make sure thier are no leaks and your done.this will keep your pressure from dropping low and keep the injector barrel & plunger from galling.:Thumbup: imoa doing this and a fuel crossover will help make the engine run smoother give better low end responce and help the injectors live longer. this is not a substitute for a full fuel system just littel things you can do to help. if you wont big hp/tq you need a full regulated return fuel system. hopfuly toby will post the pics i have to get a better idea on how its done.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Lets post this in the modifications and installs forum, I think that would be a good idea to move it over there so we know where its at.....:Thumbup:

·
Wolverine Vendor
632 Posts
If I hadn't thought of it already, I would agree that this is a good idea. However, a notorious gentleman, by the name of Mitch a/k/a Choke-on-my-Smoke let the cat out of the bag a little over a year ago.

We were testing different ways to come up with fuel pressure that would be adequate for driving around town and effective enough for racing and it works but ... One of the drawbacks of installing a bb is you have constant pressure to whatever size bb you put in there. For istance 65 lbs., 75 lbs, depending on the size pellet. As soon as the weather gets a little cold you, will have alot of headaches starting up your truck. When Choke originally posted the shimmy mod, everyone installed it and with time also took it off the regulator spring.

We have a regulated fuel system that we have successfully installed on vehicles down here. We say successfully because their track times are impressive. Mini Me has the fuel system installed and has run a 12.32 with the fuel system, nitrous and an SCT only. A 12.17and 12.00 with a set 250cc injectors from Bean and Casserly. Our system will fuel Up to 250cc injectors. Custom larger systems are also available.

We just finished up the pictures and the manual yesterday and will be posting more information in the vendors forum this afternoon. Our fuel system is ready for shipping :woot:

Here are a couple of pictures.
DJ :evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sound like a cool set up DJ!!!

·
1,155 Posts
you da man paul! :rocker

·
3,630 Posts
IMHO...you need to have a fuel pressure gauge to do this deal...the pressure can vary widely with the smallest change in what you use as a shim.
Like DJ said...this has been around for a long time now...compliments of that rat ******* Mitch. I played with it back then myself...when a ferrul from a 1/8" boost line was the shim of choice...till I got a pressure gauge...and saw I'd been running almost 90 PSI at idle.
Without knowing what your before pressure is...there's no way in hell to accuratly know what your after pressure will be...the trucks just vary too much in stock form.

F

·
0 Posts
UNBROKEN said:
You're kiding right ?
That's an EGR valve....looks like's he's running a dummy valve.
No, not kidding. Never had mine out, and never have seen, or seen a picture of one. Mine is unplugged, turned off with SCT and pipe welded. Never even heard of running one like that as a "dummy valve", but interesting none the less.:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
you would of guessed it from a top view fordt....dummy valve only worked on trucks that unpluging worked for (03,04)....kept the cel off....but on my truck did not work....
jeff

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fordt said:
Toby, what is that thing mounted by your fuel and oil filter caps?
that is a old egr valve aka dummy valve,i have not welded my egr shut yet because i have an idea about useing the egr pipe as a fuel tank heater. a mod i have not yet started.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UNBROKEN said:
IMHO...you need to have a fuel pressure gauge to do this deal...the pressure can vary widely with the smallest change in what you use as a shim.
Like DJ said...this has been around for a long time now...compliments of that rat ******* Mitch. I played with it back then myself...when a ferrul from a 1/8" boost line was the shim of choice...till I got a pressure gauge...and saw I'd been running almost 90 PSI at idle.
Without knowing what your before pressure is...there's no way in hell to accuratly know what your after pressure will be...the trucks just vary too much in stock form.
i will agree with unbroken that a fuel pressure gauge is a must have. like i said a bb from a bb gun will work best cant remember the actual size right now but i have tryed atleast 10 differant things and this is the best way. im not takeing credit away from anyone who has thought of this just helping out other diesel guys. with that said i have done an exausting amount of testing and retesting on this and thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
djdieseltech
i have had mine and many other trucks shimmed for 2 years now with no ill effects. haveing a constant pressure at the injector in cold weather should not make the truck hard to start? could you give more info on this subject? sounds like thier is another issue? i did have one truck that ideled rough in the cold weather after the regulater was shimed but that turned out to be a faulty dtrm (diesel thermo recirculation module). i would think that if this is true all the trucks with a return regulated fuel system would have the same issues?

·
Wolverine Vendor
632 Posts
diesel71 said:
djdieseltech
i have had mine and many other trucks shimmed for 2 years now with no ill effects. haveing a constant pressure at the injector in cold weather should not make the truck hard to start? could you give more info on this subject? sounds like thier is another issue? i did have one truck that ideled rough in the cold weather after the regulater was shimed but that turned out to be a faulty dtrm (diesel thermo recirculation module). i would think that if this is true all the trucks with a return regulated fuel system would have the same issues?
That’s interesting you have had several trucks running with shimmies for 2 years and haven't found any issues. :shrug:

A return regulated fuel system could not possibly be the same as a bb or whatever you choose to put in there because a return regulated fuel system, done correctly, will regulate stock pressure up to whatever setting you choose, depending on what you are boosting and then back to stock. Your shimmy is going to be at whatever psi you get, all the time. What do you think is going to happen when your psi is set at hypothetically 65 lbs., and temperatures get to 40 degrees (ambient temperature) or below? Do you think the glow plugs are going to heat up all that fuel? Or do you think the truck is going to have all kinds of hiccups? Do you understand? :Thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
just seems like wyoming will get a helluva lot colder than miami. just my 3 cents...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
djdieseltech said:
That’s interesting you have had several trucks running with shimmies for 2 years and haven't found any issues. :shrug:

A return regulated fuel system could not possibly be the same as a bb or whatever you choose to put in there because a return regulated fuel system, done correctly, will regulate stock pressure up to whatever setting you choose, depending on what you are boosting and then back to stock. Your shimmy is going to be at whatever psi you get, all the time. What do you think is going to happen when your psi is set at hypothetically 65 lbs., and temperatures get to 40 degrees (ambient temperature) or below? Do you think the glow plugs are going to heat up all that fuel? Or do you think the truck is going to have all kinds of hiccups? Do you understand? :Thumbup:

i understand what you are saying and thats why i said 60psi with a stock pump and injectors. people that just put a shim in thier and dont have a pressure gauge are probably the ones that had trouble. are you saying that more fuel pressure pushed to the injectors will let the injector inject more fuel??? hmmmm. last time i looked the ficm is what made the injector fire more or less fuel with pulse width controlled current. all the trucks i have done have had zero issues and it gets well below zero here in wyo. i never said shiming was like a return regulated system its just a small thing you can do to help the injectors and engine run better. when it gets below zero i cycle my glow plugs like normal and start the truck,when the pcm communicates to the ficm that it is time to fire the injector,an electrical signal is sent from the ficm to the electrical coils,magnetizing them one at a time.the spool valve is pulled to the apply side,and high pressure oil is allowed to flow past the spool and push on the intensifier piston. the intensifier piston travels down on the fuel plunger,delivering fuel to the nozzle area. the fuel achieves the 3100 psi (crack) pressure,lifting the nozzle pintle from its seat,delivering the fuel to the combustion chamber. when the PCM decides it is time to release the injector,an electrical signal is sent to the magnetic coil,pulling the spool valve in the opposite direction.the spool valve moves to the release side,and the contained high pressure oil is allowed to flow past the spool upward and exit out the vent port.the intensifier piston travels upward from spring pressure,allowing the fuel chamber to recharge with fuel for the next injecthion cycle. at least thats what my truck does!!!!! with no hiccups.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts