The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I have a friend with an 04 LB7 2500 Duramax. Hes got it straight piped from turbo back and a 6 inch tip. He wants smoke BAD! He was asking me if there is a way to turn his fuel pump up and how to go about doing it. I know a tad about diesels but not enough to educate him on how to do so. Thanks for your help!:smoke :popcorn:

·
164 Posts
efi-live

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so there is no mechanical way like turning a screw to do it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. he wants smoke for when he gets on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will it hurt his truck? i mean this is his only vehicle 27,000 to him and he pays on it. he cant afford much but if it wont hurt his truck and its fairly easy please explain it to me on how to do it.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
There are some mods u can do to increase rail pressure and volume to the CP3, however if he is just looking for smoke programming will do that for him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does he do these "mods". He is back home in Indiana and im in Alabama for the next three months so I will have to explain this stuff over the phone. Is it something I can explain to him?
Thanks!:thanks:

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
I can send you a PM on how to do the mods but it will only increase the rail pressure and increase fuel delivery volume. This will not increase smoke if thats all he is looking for. Programmer will do that for him. The pump mods are for those of us with bigger injectors who wish to increase or maintain rail pressure, and keep up with the demand of the bigger nozzles. Removing the CP3 pump for these mods is not an easy task. :damnit

A single modded CP3 is capable of supporting upwards of 700 RWHP but would require engine internal upgrades and a trans upgrade and tuning.

·
3,939 Posts
The Dmax isnt like the Cummins, the only way to get smoke is with a programmer. IIRC, the old Diablo Predator put out decent smoke.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Where is your friend located in Indiana?

Nasty Girl, how hard are the pump mods? I am wanting to mod mine and just curious if I will need to down the truck for the whole day or just a few hours.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
Tony, you dont need to do it. Its something guys can do when they are pushing big-fuel programs and need some extra flow.

If you want to help your CP3, buy a decent lift pump setup, whether it be a Kennedy, PPE, TTS, SuperDiesel or Fass.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
Horsehaulin said:

Nasty Girl, how hard are the pump mods? I am wanting to mod mine and just curious if I will need to down the truck for the whole day or just a few hours.

Tony
Easy to do but getting to the CP3 is the hard part. First you need to get ahold of Superdiesel (Mike) and have him mod or send you a modded regulator. This will increase the rail pressure to 29,000 + PSI. Then you have to remove the low pressure side of the CP3. There are 2 rivets maybe 3 can't remember, that are holding it on. Drill out the rivets to seperate the pump. After you remove it you will see an intake and output port. The intake port is smaller the output so you need to drill it out to the same size. After drilling reassemble with small machine screws and ur done!
A friend of mine tested the increase in flow and it increased by 9%. I know it doesn't sound like much but the modded CP3 increased HP on Nasty by about 45 RWHP with these mods done to it. I have the dyno #'s at home showing the comparison and can send you them when I get home if you like. These #'s were on a single CP3 with twins and built motor.

Keith

·
925 Posts
Horsehaulin said:

Tony
Your truck is going to be down for a while if you intend to do these mods, more than a few hours, possibly even a few days. Like nasty said, the CP3 pump is not easy to get to, epically if the motor is still in the truck.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
So should I look at a red or black Holley?

Tony

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Horsehaulin.... My friend is in Noblesville,IN. Im from Elwood,In. Ill be back in 3 months. down here with my dad for a bit then im coming home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts