The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I've got some money saved up now from this summer and I'm getting ready to spend some of it on my truck. I have a tripple disk TC, and am going to be getting a valve body from either Goerends or HTS this next week. Then I'm getting either a 3 or 4 GSK( looking for opinions on which one). and guages. I have a couple of plates that I have ground down to a 0 and a 100. Once I get some more saved up I'm going to get a set of New Era 435's hopefully. Do you think I'll be able to reach 400HP with a setup like this? Also timing will be bumped to 16.5 Thanks, and what do you's give me for a TQ guess?

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Tq is generally 2X the hp in these engines. That should have you at 400hp/800tq, or real close to it. Any P-pumped diesel I own would get a 4k gsk. If I let other people drive it a lot, then I'd consider the 3k.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but do you think I'll be able to make 400HP on my stock turbo? Also when do I have to start worrying about my stock input shaft

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Watch th input shaft very close...I have a buddy w/ a 12v that has 3k kit, Lazer Cut DVs, 125 injectors, timing at like 20 or so and a 0 plate, hes at about 460hp...his tranny went bad w/o the Lazer Cuts DVs and two days later with them he had silinoid troubles...before it went bad all he had was a BD valve body...now hes got a HD Torque Converter, and its a good little daily driver...hope that helps...

Nathaniel

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
I wouldnt run the stock turbo with that kind of power, it's just too small. You may try the HTB series from HTT, or making a set of twins.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
i think the stock turbo would be ok...and twins may be a bit overkill...If your worried about the stock turbo think about a 62 series from High Tech, or a s3000...

Nathaniel

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
If your worried the stock turbo won't be enough just get a 16cm turbine housing to replace stock. Only like $150 from HTT.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
Watch th input shaft very close...I have a buddy w/ a 12v that has 3k kit, Lazer Cut DVs, 125 injectors, timing at like 20 or so and a 0 plate, hes at about 460hp...his tranny went bad w/o the Lazer Cuts DVs and two days later with them he had silinoid troubles...before it went bad all he had was a BD valve body...now hes got a HD Torque Converter, and its a good little daily driver...hope that helps...

Nathaniel
is he still on stock input shaft? As far as turbo go's I'm just a poor high school kid, so I can't really afford a Phat shaft or an HTT. Hopefully in a couple months I'll atleast be able to by an HX-40 or an S-300

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
yea, we both just graduated this year, he just has a Single Disc HD Torque Converter, and a BD Valve body, and to correct myself his timing is 21* and the starwheel is ALL the way screwed in...and his tranny is good and EGTs are good on the stock turbo...

Nathaniel

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
yea, we both just graduated this year, he just has a Single Disc HD Torque Converter, and a BD Valve body, and to correct myself his timing is 21* and the starwheel is ALL the way screwed in...and his tranny is good and EGTs are good on the stock turbo...

Nathaniel
What are you calling good as far as EGT's go? How's his boost? I think I may have found a set of used 435's for a real good price.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
his egts dont get over 1450...i think...but its usually nite when we ride around and that laying into it for a good 250ft...and his boost PEGS a 35psi...and when we turned down the adjustable boost elbow to around halfway...it STILL pegs it, but remember the stock turbo is only good for 35psi...after that its just hott air...what hp are the 435s??? im a 24v man so im not sure off the top of my head...

Nathaniel

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I think the 435's claim about 150hp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're around that area I think, so if I just get these and a plate he'll still have more fuel than I do with those DV's

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
yep! he's got J.R. Adkins??? if that sounds right in a '97 and like i said he's got GREAT pump work so fuel for him is NO problem! best diesel man in the state of KY did it.

Nathaniel

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
diesel_ram_man said:
If your worried the stock turbo won't be enough just get a 16cm turbine housing to replace stock. Only like $150 from HTT.
I had the 16 housing in my 97 Dodge with 370's , 4k gsk, & a 0 plate It made 42pounds of booost & killed the bearings. Then I upgraded to the HTT stage3(as seen in the 12 valve how-to articles). It still wasnt quite enuf, EGT's were still too high. With the 435's his is probably gonna be even hotter.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
But if he doesnt put in as aggressive of a plate he should be ok, I would think...put an adjustable boost elbow on the turbo, 16mm, he should be work...

Nathaniel

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I would go to the 435's, I'd prolly step back to about a ten or so plate, I dunno I may just end up with a set of new era's 370's to. I'd just like to buy these 435's because farver in the future when I'd get a turbo they'd really be great. It's just deciding if I can run em for the time being or not.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
w/ 150hp injectors and a 10 plate I think you would be fine...i know not all trucks are the same but if my buddies can hold up the way it has and the way he treats it yours should do fine NOOO problem...what are you planning on pump work timing and starwheel?

Nathaniel

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
16.5 timing, stock pump other than 4GSK and a plate. I can't afford any big pump, just stuff I can do myself.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
you should be just fine...got exhaust??? and intake upgrade yet??? that will help the egts...

Nathaniel

1 - 20 of 41 Posts