The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 350 Lariet has 800 ft/lbs torque, 400 HP. From what I'm reading on this forum, the 350/450 cab/chassis have considerabely less of both. I was wondering if anyone can explain why ? If the 6.7 can produce this performance, why would Ford put out an inferior engine/drivetrain - what's the point ?

Any clarification on this would be great, as I just can't figure out why you would order 450 cab/chassis and get less ?

·
40 Posts
I think they derate the engines for durability. Most of the c/c trucks are used commercially and generally used pretty hard. If you check other manufacturers they also derate the engines for their commercial vehicles. International uses the 6.4 diesel in their new Terrastar truck which is comparable to a 450/550 Ford chassis cab. The 6.4 in the Terrastar is rated 300/660. I almost decided to buy an F-450 chassis cab and install a hauler bed but the derated hp stopped me from doing it. I wanted the F-450 chassis cab because it is basically the same truck as my '08 F-450 pickup. They still have the 19.5" wheels and heavy rear axle on the new chassis cabs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts