The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Having a problem with oil leaking from under the HPOP on my 95 Club Wagon with PSD. Bought the o-ring kit from a local dealer and started to check out where the oil is leaking from. Seems that my o-rings were not the problem. The lines coming from the HPOP to the heads were dry. Since the PSD is in a van, in order to find where the oil is leaking from I had to go in from the back of the motor. (Through the doghouse area.) Ater tearing everything from the top of the motor to access the HPOP area I could see the oil was coming out from under the pump. I removed the pump and inspected it. At first it looked like there might be a crack in the pump, but I buffed and polished the webbing area and it was not cracked. The mating surface between the pump and the front cover looked fine.

Now I need to re-install the pump and figure out where the oil was leaking from. The seal in there looks like RTV. I need to know if the seal has been a problem on these engines. I would also like to know if anybody has the torque specs on the gear bolt for the HPOP.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Really want my van back in running order. Soon....

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
:welcome2: to TDG!

Well, the Vans are a challenge, and I applaud you for even trying.

The HPOP plugs often leak, there is a kit to re-seal them, and this includes the HPOP outlet port.

I do not recall, but it has been a few years since my last 7.3L PSD HPOP removal, that there was ANY RTV used as a gasket material. There *should* be an "o-ring" that seals the HPOP to the reservoir. If that was missing, that could have been the whole problem as RTV does NOT seal well under engine oil pressure.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, someone will be happy to help.

·
FRANKEN STROKE
189 Posts
I agree with these guys, but somthing you might also check is the fuel lines in the front of your heads. I just got trough chasing a HPOP leak on a freinds truck that turned out not to be leaking but fuel that was sprayed on the pump was washing oil an grease into the valley to make it look like an oil leak!

The fuel only leaked onder high pressure, and would dry while the motor idled. That made it hard to find till a buddy got the bright idea to try to make me jump by hitting the fuel while I was looking under the hood!:pointlaugh

Just an idea!

NELSON

1 - 5 of 5 Posts