The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The selectable hubs on my F-250 are stuck. In what position (auto or lock), I have no idea, but they won't budge. Does this mean I need new hubs or can my old ones be saved?

·
DIESEL FREAK
126 Posts
If you havn't used them in a long time they will freeze up. I had a 2000 and mine hadn't been used for a long time either. Try using some type of lubricant to help break them loose and use a pair of pliers to twist them. They should break loose. If not you may have to replace.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure that has already been tried... It looks like the metal inside the knob is fractured... :damnit

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is a large retainer clip that holds that hub in. Pop the center cap off and then that retainer will be easy to get to. Once you get the retainer out, the hub assemble should slide out. Try spraying some lub on hat to break it loose. I have had both side off on my truck. One slid right out, and the other was a pain to get it out.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My busted *** hubs:

Right hub:

Left hub:

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
wow them look bad I had the same problem on mine. I just but some warn hubs on I think they were about 135 dollars

·
97 Posts
What WARN p/n did you go with? I've been thinking about changing out my hubs for a long time.

I had the same problem zaairman is talking about too, but I used a small deadblow and a wooden drift and got mine loose instead of harshing on them w/ pliers. :Thumbup:

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kip said:
wow them look bad I had the same problem on mine. I just but some warn hubs on I think they were about 135 dollars
I don't want the Warns though... Cause then I'll have to get out of the truck to lock them. I actually like my auto hubs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, check to see if your hubs are locked. All positions are referenced as you are crouched in front of your wheel looking at the hub (there is only 1 style of hub used on both sides). As you look at your hub check the selector knob. Turning it counterclockwise places it in the "Auto" position (unlocked) and turning it clockwise places it in the "Lock" position. Make sure your hubs are unlocked then reach around behind the wheel to the ball joint. If you can rotate the joint freely your hub is unlocked. If you cannot rotation the ball joint then your hub is locked.

Yes, you can possibly save your hub. Go to this link on removing and cleaning your hubs:

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/allube.html

One of my hubs was frozen and I had to use a rubber mallet to tap the hub and alternately work it with my hands. It took almost an hour but I got it off (I am at least 10% smarter than my truck).

Good luck and I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts