The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so I hutched and harpooned the tank today...I think I followed guzzles web site for the most part. I also ground the opening of the filler tube to accept the large truck stop nozzles. Inside the tank I retained the black stock rubber-type pickup, but removed the mixing POS, then ran a return far away. I reamed the hole in the stock black pickup and put the tube below the area that is setup to allow fuel in if the screen is clogged.

Exiting the tank, for the fuel feed I ran 3/8 line with double hose clamps at all junctions (clamps mounted at 180 degrees to each other). I also added an in line fuel filter (for a Mercedes diesel, rated for vacuum) before the fuel pump. (until I get a DAHL or similar). I am glad I put this semi-clear filter in...read on....

I ran the truck and checked everything and still saw air bubbles. OK.....so I thought I would check all the fittings - they are fine. OK...... next I thought maybe inside the tank I didn't tighten the compression fittings enough and they are letting air in - no time to fix that today - so I go fill the tank (29 gal tank had 4-5 gal in it and I put 30 in at the fast fill truck pump - LOVE the fast pump and ability to fill the tank now)

I still have air bubbles being fed to the fuel filter!!! I re-checked all the clamps (again), and can't find any diesel leaks after it sits for a while.

My only thought at this point is that the SS tube is leaking where they are 'spot' welded onto the tank cap. It's the only spot left for air to get in. So I just sealed that with a tri-polymer sealant (caulk - good stuff). Not cured yet - and dark now so I gave up checking this step. I have to go a couple hundred miles tomorrow with a light trailer - looks like I'll be 'bubbling' it.

It runs the same as before, so I'm not sure this (air) is a new problem (I was thinking that this was possibly caused by the work on the fuel pickup - I was careful). If the caulk on the exterior does not fix it, I will run a continuous line from the tank to the pump - and not use any of the factory SS tubing (all in great condition).

Long post - sure

Frustrated - absolutely

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
by design you will see air bubbles in front of the filter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where does it come from, and where does it go? It would seem to make this a moot mod :shrug:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
two-rocks said:
Where does it come from, and where does it go?
Where does it come from a cotton eyed joe....

LOL

:shrug:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts