The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Anyone else experiencing a thud sound from their HVAC when it is on "Auto". It sounds like a duct door is closing. It is a persistant sound meaning that every couple of minutes I hear this thud of the duct door closing. Its kinda like the old cars that when you would move the selector switch from face vents to defrost. I am not sure how to best describe this but was hoping that someone else has noticed this too. I was wondering if this is normal on auto or if not any ideas how to fix it? I can try to provide more info. It goes away if the system is not on auto.

thanks,

·
780 Posts
mine does the same thing on auto but I thought it was normal for Ford because my 97 t-bird did the same thing on auto :slap

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i am glad to hear i am not alone. Any sort of thud noise gets me a little alarmed so i wanted to check it out.

Oh by the way nice truck, mine is identical except tan bottom.

·
1,700 Posts
Its possible that you are hearing the Recirculation/MAX door opening and closing. When in Auto it has the ability to open/shut the door automatically depending on various conditions to help stabilize in car temps.

·
FukeneH
197 Posts
mine has closed all doors at once on auto. I did not think this was possable,with the fan on high sounded like the cab was going to blow away or boot coming off

141 Posts
Yup, my '08 does this to! I always thought that it was the electromagnetic clutch on the compressor engaging and disengaging. I suppose it could be the mixing door opening and closing.

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
always good not to be alone on a situation. I have read that this is both normal to hear the sound and if your temps coming out of the vents are good.

Also not good if your hearing it because it supposedly means that the blend door motors are on their way out. Soon to cause temperature issues where you only get hot or cold air no matter what the temp is set to.

I cannot see how hearing the door shutting would mean that the blend door motors are going out. I would think the lack of hearing the doors means that your motors are out and then you would get the stuck on hot or cold temperatures.

I guess I will just keep it off auto and go with the normal way of blasting air out. Until something breaks im not letting the stealership touch my dash. Im a no rattle kind of a guy and that sounds like rattle trap city to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts