The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im driving a ton of miles each month. My truck is 3 weeks old and i have 6500 miles on it. Any ideas to increase fuel milage would help. But, im not willing to affect my warranty. Dont get me wrong, I'm thrilled with this truck and its milage, but every little bit helps.

Does anyone know if vented tailgates would increase mpg over stock tailgates, if so by how much. Can you legally drive with tailgates down?

What about aftermarket air intake kits.

Im playing with different speeds loaded, and unloaded to find the optimal speed/mpg on the hwy.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
1,415 Posts
leave your tailgate up for best milage and most important the life of your body!! slow down is the only thing you can do without voiding your warrenty

·
42 Posts
Up your rates 10% and dont sweat the fuel.

·
Diesel Dreamin
28 Posts
Get a soft bed cover. I have the Extang Tri fold model. This will help some.

·
That guy
141 Posts
What tires did it come with? A good hard tire with a tight tread pattern can help milage some as well. And keep your tires aired up to the max. It doesn't help the ride and make it wander a bit, but it will reduce your contact pattern to the road and provide a slight increase in milage.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I have 17" tires. I keep them at 80 psi which is the recommended pressure. I believe a bed cover would help. But i have to be in the bed often. Maybe a hard retractable cover would be better.

·
147 Posts
It'll take a long time to recoup the cost of a retractable hard cover vs. a soft cover. I have a Truxedo Low Pro, and it just latches down in the back and velcros the rest of the way around. Close to open and back closed again is probaly less than 30 seconds (on a slow day). :)

·
42 Posts
Don't change a thing on the truck either. I put on a set of tires that are 0ne inch taller and a ranch-hand bumper replacement / grill guard and just those two mods lost me 2 mpg. Before those two mods I would get 18 if very lucky (hand calculated based on seeing fuel at lip of fill port) and after the two changes very lucky to see 16 mpg. And I have the 3.31 axle ratio. These are big heavy trucks with the aerodynamics of a brick. They are not going to get good fuel mileage no matter what.

I have had two dodge trucks with the cummins TD and both of them would get up to 20+ mpg literally all the time. On the highway < 70 mph of course...and no emissions stuff on them at all. Much as I like my 2011 Ford F250, it just will not get good fuel mileage. I just turned off the instantaneous fuel mileage readout and show nothing on the center screen readout. That way I don't see the regens start and I don't see the horrible mileage. And that helps. If the truck got close to 20 mpg, it would be the most awesome truck ever made. But it doesn't. Someday that emissions crap is going away.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I dont think toneau covers help because the swirling air in the bed at hwy speeds helps with areo dynamics, it allows the main volume of air flow over the swirling air, the toneau stops that from happening, Mythbusters did a whole episode on that..

·
444 Posts
Thanks guys, I have 17" tires. I keep them at 80 psi which is the recommended pressure. I believe a bed cover would help. But i have to be in the bed often. Maybe a hard retractable cover would be better.
80 psi? :eek: Are you sure that isn't the max pressure? At 80 psi, you'll have very uneven tread wear.

·
43 Posts
6.7 MPG

Don't change a thing on the truck either. I put on a set of tires that are 0ne inch taller and a ranch-hand bumper replacement / grill guard and just those two mods lost me 2 mpg. Before those two mods I would get 18 if very lucky (hand calculated based on seeing fuel at lip of fill port) and after the two changes very lucky to see 16 mpg. And I have the 3.31 axle ratio. These are big heavy trucks with the aerodynamics of a brick. They are not going to get good fuel mileage no matter what.

I have had two dodge trucks with the cummins TD and both of them would get up to 20+ mpg literally all the time. On the highway < 70 mph of course...and no emissions stuff on them at all. Much as I like my 2011 Ford F250, it just will not get good fuel mileage. I just turned off the instantaneous fuel mileage readout and show nothing on the center screen readout. That way I don't see the regens start and I don't see the horrible mileage. And that helps. If the truck got close to 20 mpg, it would be the most awesome truck ever made. But it doesn't. Someday that emissions crap is going away.
====================================
I have the 3.31 rear end with my 6.7 and I get 20 to 23 MPG on the Hy unloaded.. Be sure you Zero out the Average Fuel on the dash after each fill-up. This then shows you what your average MPG on this one tank of fuel and not since NEW! I have a feeling this is part of your problem or a lead foot? :>).. One fellow on here says he gets 15-16 towing 7000# trailer with the 3:31 rear-end.. I just got my first oil change and my MPG keeps getting better little by little... Wind and cold weather grade fuel is a killer on MPG... How large of loads do you carry? Is trailer enclosed or open, this all plays a part in the MPG game we play... I'm a MPG nut and always trying to beat my last best MPG, I have gotten 25 MPG with my Truck at 55 MPH on a 50 mile trip. This was back 4000 miles ago and about ready to try again to see if I can beat the 25 MPG score...
I get 18-19 mpg around town but admit my town driving is very lite, a run to Walmart or fuel up..... Most of my driving is 25-50 mile trips between towns and I love this 2011 Ford Diesel...
Be sure to treat your girl right and she will love you on payday!
Good luck
Dj

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
You trust your DIC to give you accurate mileage? :shrugs

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
You trust your DIC to give you accurate mileage? :shrugs
after you add corrections for the speedo/odo to actual speed/distance discrepency, the DIC mileage ends up being pretty close to hand-calc'd (on my truck, that is).

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been hand calculating my mileage and the DIC is very close over the 10k miles ive been doing it. Its so close in fact I might stop hand calcing so often.

·
42 Posts
====================================
I have the 3.31 rear end with my 6.7 and I get 20 to 23 MPG on the Hy unloaded.. Be sure you Zero out the Average Fuel on the dash after each fill-up. This then shows you what your average MPG on this one tank of fuel and not since NEW! I have a feeling this is part of your problem or a lead foot? :>).. One fellow on here says he gets 15-16 towing 7000# trailer with the 3:31 rear-end.. I just got my first oil change and my MPG keeps getting better little by little... Wind and cold weather grade fuel is a killer on MPG... How large of loads do you carry? Is trailer enclosed or open, this all plays a part in the MPG game we play... I'm a MPG nut and always trying to beat my last best MPG, I have gotten 25 MPG with my Truck at 55 MPH on a 50 mile trip. This was back 4000 miles ago and about ready to try again to see if I can beat the 25 MPG score...
I get 18-19 mpg around town but admit my town driving is very lite, a run to Walmart or fuel up..... Most of my driving is 25-50 mile trips between towns and I love this 2011 Ford Diesel...
Be sure to treat your girl right and she will love you on payday!
Good luck
Dj

Well it is great to hear that SOMEONE is getting good mileage out of their truck. I only do hand-calculated mileage checks based on seeing the diesel at the very edge of the fill nozzle every fill-up. I do my checks with the cruise control set on 65 on the hghway with no load and not towing anything. Easing into launch to get to highway speed. In short, there is nothing more I can do to get it to whatever the max miles per gallon is going to be. (Just can't drive 55!) Right now with available diesel (Shell) I am getting 16.2 under above conditions. Plus the slightly larger tires and the ranch-hand bumper. So I didn't help by doing those two mods and that cost me 2 mpg. But even before I did the mods the mileage was steadily decreasing little by little as miles accumulated. So I don't know maybe something is wrong with my truck. It runs beautifully though. I suspect that one of these days I will pull the trigger on a full delete with a tuner and fix this problem once and for all. It must be nice to be getting really good mileage with these new trucks. I am not seeing it. Still awesome trucks though.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something doesnt sound right maybe these mods really are affecting you. I just pulled a 34' 5th wheel 1800 miles and got 9.5 running anywhere from 60 to 70 depending on the roads and wind.

On the way back empty running 70-75 80% of the ride back i got 15.9 I know dam well if i'd have run 65 i get 17 - 17.5 depending on the wind. I wonder how well the flash of the new tire size is computing on the speedometer. U may want to verify that 60mph is 60 mph.

141 Posts
X2 Britewhiteram. I put a Bakflip tonneau on my truck and on the hwy I lost about 1.5 mpgs. All the advertising says 10% fuel savings. Not in my experience. I like having the security of the hard tonneau but I'd like to tear it off to get my mileage back. I did a run up to red deer and back form calgary (about 3hr round trip) 3 separate times with and without tonneau and that confirmed it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts