The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to do this every since I first read about it. My question is... what type of hose/tubing do ya'll like? I've seen some differant variations and just want to get an idea if one kind is better/worse than another one. I've seen the high pressure hose, the high pressure hose wrapped in braided steel, and plain steel tubing (rigid) that's pre-bent into shape.

Opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
The most popular and well-liked is the stainless steel (rigid line) one. You can get it from ITP Diesel.

·
0 Posts
I don't know if the SS version is the most popular. It is one of the newer versions on the market.

I have a SS braided hose. Been on now for 3 years with out any issue. It really boils down to personal comfort, for you and how you felt talking to the dealer. Some will argue that the hose style will fail earlier...and there have been hose failures. The SS tubing is new enough on the market that I haven't heard of any.

Dave

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw that one for the first time about a week ago. Does anyone know how it crosses the valley on the old body style PSD? Over the top, or down thru the bottom? If it's over the top, does the cover still fit?

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
BigGreen said:
I just saw that one for the first time about a week ago. Does anyone know how it crosses the valley on the old body style PSD? Over the top, or down thru the bottom? If it's over the top, does the cover still fit?

yup, yup, yup........the cover will still fit. It will go on behind the fuel filter canister and crossover from one side to the other and fits perfectly tucked right in there. I know on my 95 it smoothed the idle out some and made it a little quieter............

kevin

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. That's what I wanted to know. I'll order one now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
what kind of threads does the plugs in the heads have? i don't think a rigid line would be hard to make

·
Vendor
382 Posts
4cstr said:
I don't know if the SS version is the most popular. It is one of the newer versions on the market.

I have a SS braided hose. Been on now for 3 years with out any issue. It really boils down to personal comfort, for you and how you felt talking to the dealer. Some will argue that the hose style will fail earlier...and there have been hose failures. The SS tubing is new enough on the market that I haven't heard of any.

Dave
Dave,

The KCM S.S. Hard Lines aren't that new. I've personally sold hundreds of them over the last year, and KCM was installing them on trucks before I started to offer them. They are VERY WELL designed and built, high quality parts all the way! I've not had a single customer with a problem yet.

·
1,386 Posts
Ok, dumb question, what is an HX mod and what is it's purpose. :shrug: I looked around the site but couldn't find anything. Be kind I'm still new to diesel upgrades.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HX MOD (installation help)

Well I ordered the Stainless line from ITP Diesel. It came in and I'm attempting to install it tonight. I'm having a problem routing the line. The instructions say to connect the #5 oil galley plug (passenger side) and the #4 oil galley plug (drivers side). Since the plugs are not directly across from one another, there is a jog in the line. What I'm having problems with is trying to figure out what side the jog goes on. If I install it one way, the turbo is in the way. If I install it the other way, the fuel filter canister is in the way.

Please help.

·
6,337 Posts
Not sure, give dennis a call... I've yet to install that little dingy

·
58 Posts
JLayne said:
what kind of threads does the plugs in the heads have? i don't think a rigid line would be hard to make

The plugs you pull out of the heads are #5 oring boss fittings. Make sure the line or hose you use is rated for 400 degs and 4000 psi. Also you want to make it with as little resriction as possible to make it the most effective.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CSIPSD said:
Not sure, give dennis a call... I've yet to install that little dingy
Thanks. I may call him tomorrow or Monday if no one else has the answers to my questions.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
:woot: the stainless steal line is good to 5,000 psi. your high pressure pump will not go mutch over 3,000 psi. this is a awsome mod :Thumbup: i think it is one of the best things you can do for your motor! I have used hose and steel both with good luck. :93C_peelo

·
Registered
325 Posts
ltfox said:
The plugs you pull out of the heads are #5 oring boss fittings. Make sure the line or hose you use is rated for 400 degs and 4000 psi. Also you want to make it with as little resriction as possible to make it the most effective.

welcome to the garage!!

·
Vendor
382 Posts
BigGreen said:
Well I ordered the Stainless line from ITP Diesel. It came in and I'm attempting to install it tonight. I'm having a problem routing the line. The instructions say to connect the #5 oil galley plug (passenger side) and the #4 oil galley plug (drivers side). Since the plugs are not directly across from one another, there is a jog in the line. What I'm having problems with is trying to figure out what side the jog goes on. If I install it one way, the turbo is in the way. If I install it the other way, the fuel filter canister is in the way.

Please help.
BG,

Did I send you the line shown below?

That is the line for a 94-97. If I sent you the line with 2 humps in it, I screwed up and send you a Super Duty line. If I sent you the one shown above, you have the right one.

If I sent you the line above, the routing looks like the picture below:

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ITP,

My line looks like the one you posted. FYI about thos pictures. It's hard to tell the shape of the line in the pic where it's by itself. The pic of the line installed is much easier to see how it's shaped. That's what I needed to know.

Now last night before I started taking the oil galley plugs out, I test fit the line to see it it interfeed w/ anything. When I placed it like it's shown above, it hits the fuel filter canister. Will this correct itself when eveything is threaded together?

One more Q. While test fitting it to see how it would best fit, I tried turning it around so the "jog" end was facing the fire wall and lined it up w/ the #7 oil plug. Installing it this way will make it neccessary to move the oil line on the driver side from the #6 location to the # 4 location. It looks like it will go around the turbo ok. Will installing it this way create any problems or make the mod not as effective as it should be? Does that make sence?

·
Rockin-S
215 Posts
Thats the reason it is bent like it is , Is to Not have to move the drivers side oil line. I dont see how it can hit the fuel canister unless without it being threaded together it just sticks out to far and makes it look that way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BigGreen said:

Please help.
#5 and 6 galley plugs

http://www.itpdiesel.com/other/KCM/SS-HPX-Instructions.pdf

**On Edit - it looks like everyones post about this showed up at the same time**

1 - 20 of 27 Posts