The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better? My buddy is running a Hypertech in his 04.5 GMC. He insists Hypertech is better. You pay more money for the edge juice w/attitude because of the monitor. So, I would like some input on this one.
Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
no question about it Edge before Hypertech any day !!

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I was pretty much feeling the same way. Still interested in other responses though.

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
C.A.P said:
no question about it Edge before Hypertech any day !!
I would have to agree 100% with the above post!:Thumbup:

The Juice/Attitude is a great combination, also looking into getting the overhead mount for the Attitude. It gives it a very clean looking mount, let me know if you would like any pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Depends on the truck I think. If you have an LB7 (01-04) engine, the edge is hands down the most popular tuner for them...If I owned a truck and someone else was driving it, a hypertech is what I would buy. The edge has protection built into it, but it can only do so much.
Now, for the LLY (early lly that is 04.5-05), the edge doens't have such a stellar history. There have been many reports of units that didn't work correctly on these engines. (That issue may be fixed by now, I'm not sure)
Personally, I like the predator for the LLY....excellent price point, decent power, and diagnostics too..:Thumbup:

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
LB7 Edge sure had its problems also, four boxes later knock on wood everything is working great.

I want to get the Preditor of the code reading and to remove the speed limiter! :)

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will pick up both, the predator and edge, and see which one works best for my needs. And see either of the two after testing is complete. Thanks for the info :)

·
3,939 Posts
Lindy02GMC said:
I think I will pick up both, the predator and edge, and see which one works best for my needs. And see either of the two after testing is complete. Thanks for the info :)
The mod bug has officially bitten this person! The Edge is a great harness box...if you get the Attitude, you have your gauges. The Predator is a very good downloader, and you can see and reset codes, change tire size and remove the speed limiter with it. Both excellent choices.

:evil: Should we tell him that he can also stack those two units? I see a trans upgrade coming.... :Thumbup:

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
Noreaster said:
I have a Predator thats going to Fl. to be unlocked, let me know if your interested.
I am intersested in getting a Predator.

But what is with all these boxes that need to be unlocked. When we totalled our F250 we got uninstalled our Hypertech at the salvage yard without any problems. Turned around and soldit on Ebay.

Are the Predeators and Hypertechs that much different that they need to be sent out for reprograming? Not trying to be a wise *** just noticed this since I have been looking for a used one.

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
For some reason the LB7 Preadtor vin locks to the truck it was used on, I think its so they can make $100 everytime it gets resold.

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
Noreaster, thanks for the reply I did not know that was the case. That really sucks if you think about it, Hypertech can be removed and placed on another truck. It is probably all about greed.

When you have more info on the one you are looking to sell send me a PM.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The predator is the only programmer thats locks, nothing else that I know of, but its not bad cause of the stuff it does/reads.

No Wake PM sent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would go with the juice with attuide, worked out well on an 05 I put it on

·
Registered
20 Posts
You couldn't give either one.

EFILive blows the competition away! Hands down, any which way way you care to compare.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RaceHemi,
I am unfamiliar with EFIlive. Do you have some time to either talk a little bit about it on here or kick me a pm please. I am very curious now. Thanks. Oh, BAC, only today did I read that you could stack both the predator and edge programmers. wow unbelievable

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
Lindy02GMC said:
Oh, BAC, only today did I read that you could stack both the predator and edge programmers. wow unbelievable
But do not do it unless you want to replace the Alison.

This is the info I have found on the EFI Live.

http://www.efilive.com/

From what I understand you can write your own tune. It seems cool but after spending the $$$$ on the Juice/Attitude I can not think about spending more on a programer. Wheels, tires, exhaust or a DVD/SAT radio in the dash are next on the list.:blah: :blah:

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NoWake200 said:
But do not do it unless you want to replace the Alison.

This is the info I have found on the EFI Live.

http://www.efilive.com/

From what I understand you can write your own tune. It seems cool but after spending the $$$$ on the Juice/Attitude I can not think about spending more on a programer. Wheels, tires, exhaust or a DVD/SAT radio in the dash are next on the list.:blah: :blah:
Which brings me to my next point. Should I go to tires and rims? I said on my last truck that I wouldn't do it again because its a waste of money. However, as the weather turns nicer here in MN, its common practice to put the "stockies" away and put on the nice wheels and tires. Well, not sure if I want to do that or not. Is it worth it or not? 2nd of all. Which size??? :shrug: 20" rims or go with the 16's?? I really like the wolverines that american racing has to offer. 20's but also more expensive. what 16" rims are a good choice? I really like the nitto terra grappler 285 tires. so lookin for some ideas.

·
Loves Jet Noise
227 Posts
The big problem with the stock wheels are only 6.5" wide. In fact the 265s are too big for the stock wheel. Although people have mounted 285s on the stock wheels and had no problems, IMO they do not wear well. You will also have to do some wheel well trimming because the tires will rub in turns.

Some more food for thought. LOL I tell you these boards are dangerous on the wallet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.