The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 dodge 2500 sport. The thing I am asking isnt really a problem it more of an annoyance. I notice that my lights get brite and then dim like a surging all most. Even the heater motor surges. It does it when driving but only at low speeds like when driving around in a parking lot. Once the speed is up I dont notice it. I was just woundering if anyone had any ideas.

·
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
119 Posts
i'm just guessin but to me it sounds like lose belt or alt goin bad as your compressor kicks on. are you runnin heat or defrost, defrost runs your ac compressor:shrug: i hope i helped any:popcorn: :shrug: good luck:usflag

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
springer said:
I have an 01 dodge 2500 sport. The thing I am asking isnt really a problem it more of an annoyance. I notice that my lights get brite and then dim like a surging all most. Even the heater motor surges. It does it when driving but only at low speeds like when driving around in a parking lot. Once the speed is up I dont notice it. I was just woundering if anyone had any ideas.

Are you speaking of the heater grid? It only does it at low speeds at start up?

If that's what your thinking of.................Mopar Man has a idea/fix for that. If your alternater is weak it'll exerrate that alot. Get your alternater checked.

·
400 Posts
Mine Does The Same Thing When The Defroster Is On. I Notice It The Most When I'm In Traffic Or Sitting At A Light.

·
348 Posts
When does it do it? If when the Engine is not fully warmed up or if the engine has cooled off than it sounds like the heater grid cycling. Very normal. II might also suggest checking your batteries and alt like it was suggested above. Also please fill out your signature line so we will all know what ya got.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt know about the heater grid. I thought that it turned off after the truck started. Thats what I like about this site I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the input.

·
1,189 Posts
yeah the heater grid does that on mine and my dads 99 till the truck is warm when my dad first got his he thought the regulator was going out in the alt but he learned what it really was

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
springer said:
Totally normal... It's the grid heaters...

To cancel it early start driving and get over 25 MPH.

There is nothing wrong with your truck...:Thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts