The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting the best lighting I can in my X. I want to go with HID, but I know that it isn't smart to just go with one of the retro kits and not change the headlight assembly. So what I would like to know is has anyone changed the headlight assembly to the projector style and then added HID lights? I know of the legality of this so we don't need to go into that aspect. I would also like to know what you have done instead of HID and how much better was the light. Just so you know I live in a rural area and also travel 100+ miles a day to and from work. So I need good lights for dim and high beams. So any help here would be very helpful!!!!

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
5,365 Posts
ive not seen any aftermarket projectors that looked good OR worked better.
If youre unwilling to mount lights on the bumper, Id recommend the
Hella FF's (in HID, NOT halogen) which are a near exact fit & simular in size
to the in bumper factory driving lights

other wise id suggest an LED Light Bar - make it a good one (they are IMPRESSIVE
but they are also pricey)....inmotion josh has a Rigid Industries 20" Led Light Bar on
his truck.

Reactions: jdydiesel

·
5,365 Posts
Im happy w/ my extra lighting...and the ProComp's (in the middle) can be had for
less than 100 bucks each (iirc i paid 50 or 80 each).

the N-Fab light bar requires NO drilling and only cost about 50 bucks.

if youre interested in LESS lighting, and other ideas, you could mount some in
the bumper (the IPF's are GREAT lights - ive had em 10+ years).

·
528 Posts
I switched mine to Sylvania ultras. A big difference. I have poeple flash me all the time thinking my high beams are on. Sucks for them to be so low. Did my head lights and fog lights for about $100.

·
5,365 Posts
they could be flashing you because of the GLARE, not the direct beam.
a lot of these high colored temp <hid wannabe> bulbs product a tremendous and
dangerous amount of glare <not beam light>.

·
5,365 Posts
they could be flashing you because of the GLARE, not the direct beam.
a lot of these high colored temp <hid wannabe> bulbs product a tremendous and
dangerous amount of glare <not beam light>.

·
1,060 Posts
I also did the ultras in my fog and headlight assym. the adjustment was way off for the lights so once I fixed that they shine where they should they are much brighter than what was in it, I never get flashed (either way) I have driven in the beam of the lights in a different car and mine are bright but not overwhelming And they look way better. I think the ones I took out were the factory bulbs so just new bulbs made a huge difference, Dose your X have the diffused beam or is it just the two piece clear lens similar to your pick up?
The next thing I am going to do is ground the green and black wire in the cab harness (with the horse shoe clip) so the Fog lights stay on with the high beams.
Don whats with all the double posts?

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My X has the clear lens, two piece assembly. The lens is starting to fade at the top but not in the direct view of the bulb. I like the idea of a light bar with the extra lights. THe LED bar you are talking about, will that put out usable light for driving? I thought those where just for looks?

·
3,306 Posts

·
3,306 Posts
I also did the ultras in my fog and headlight assym. the adjustment was way off for the lights so once I fixed that they shine where they should they are much brighter than what was in it, I never get flashed (either way) I have driven in the beam of the lights in a different car and mine are bright but not overwhelming And they look way better. I think the ones I took out were the factory bulbs so just new bulbs made a huge difference, Dose your X have the diffused beam or is it just the two piece clear lens similar to your pick up?
The next thing I am going to do is ground the green and black wire in the cab harness (with the horse shoe clip) so the Fog lights stay on with the high beams.
Don whats with all the double posts?
where did you get the ultra's from? I recently purchased a set of Xenon platinum blue headlight and fog bulbs from recon and was totally disappointed. The low beam pattern is the same as the high beam light pattern. Also the light is way dimmer than the factory bulbs...wasn't happy at all with them. I had the normal sylvania silverstar headlight and foglight bulbs in my old headlights before i put the harley headlights on...and the silverstars were a bit better, but didn't know that there was a brighter silverstar bulb.

·
5,365 Posts
My X has the clear lens, two piece assembly. The lens is starting to fade at the top but not in the direct view of the bulb. I like the idea of a light bar with the extra lights. THe LED bar you are talking about, will that put out usable light for driving? I thought those where just for looks?
the way the light is bounced off the reflector (low beam bounces off the TOP to aim down) could be impacting your low beam visibility.

I know it sounds backwards but low beam bounces off the TOP of the
reflector on to the ground....Hi beam bounces off the BOTTOM and reflects
toward the sky.

if the TOP of your lens is fogging it could be obstructing the low beam.

those LED lights are VERY VERY powerful - the off road baja race teams
are using 'em - but remember not ALL are created equal - and consider
yourself warned - the good ones are VERY VERY VERY expensive !

·
1,060 Posts
the way the light is bounced off the reflector (low beam bounces off the TOP to aim down) could be impacting your low beam visibility.

I know it sounds backwards but low beam bounces off the TOP of the
reflector on to the ground....Hi beam bounces off the BOTTOM and reflects
toward the sky.

if the TOP of your lens is fogging it could be obstructing the low beam.

those LED lights are VERY VERY powerful - the off road baja race teams
are using 'em - but remember not ALL are created equal - and consider
yourself warned - the good ones are VERY VERY VERY expensive !
Very true, all the new patrol cars are starting to run a similar set up in there light bars. Notice how even CHP is starting to run the LED;s on their cars instead of the globes. But a LED light bar of Good quality will set the wallet back a bit

As for stock replacements I got mine at O'rielys here is a link to the info on the lights from the mfg. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/SilverStarUltra/ I think they might have enhanced there photos a bit... because if that is there new beam it dose need to be adjusted down a bit looks like a low beam vs high in the photos but there is a considerable amount of inprovment from standard to mine. For the dollar best bang for the buck.

And lets remeber that if you buy blue lights that are not true HID's, all your doing is buying a colored bulb, might make your front end look nice but it is filtering and blocking the light from coming out... my.02

Reactions: bushpilot

·
5,365 Posts
ill just add that the BETTER versions of those LED light bars produce ALOT of heat,
they have large heat sinks on them and need GOOD air flow to stay cool.

Reactions: Trip

·
3,306 Posts
funny thing, i contacted sylvania and they said that they do not offer/make the ultra bulbs in the H13 or 9145(foglight) yet, but plan on releasing the H13 ultra's in the fall of 2011, but have no set date on releasing the 9145 in the ultra bulb. Was told that in the meantime the only bulb they offer that is the brightest other than the factory bulb is the regular silverstar.

·
1,060 Posts
funny thing, i contacted sylvania and they said that they do not offer/make the ultra bulbs in the H13 or 9145(foglight) yet, but plan on releasing the H13 ultra's in the fall of 2011, but have no set date on releasing the 9145 in the ultra bulb. Was told that in the meantime the only bulb they offer that is the brightest other than the factory bulb is the regular silverstar.
:thumbdown Fail on my part, My fogs have starndard Silverstar:kick the headlights are the ultras :wedgie. I was in such disbelife I went out side and pulled my fogs out I went :gaah so then I pulled the headlights and they are the ultras, I forgot I mismatched them due to that, what a :bubba I am... Thank you for correcting me in what I have...

·
3,306 Posts
:thumbdown Fail on my part, My fogs have starndard Silverstar:kick the headlights are the ultras :wedgie. I was in such disbelife I went out side and pulled my fogs out I went :gaah so then I pulled the headlights and they are the ultras, I forgot I mismatched them due to that, what a :bubba I am... Thank you for correcting me in what I have...
your headlights take the 9007 bulb and sylvania makes the ultras in the 9007. But i switched my '04 headlights out with the '07 harley headlights which are the H13(9008) bulbs that they apparently don't make yet. So i either got to go with the regular silverstars or wait for the release of the ultras or go with something else.

·
STROKIN' IT
287 Posts
ok so enough of talking about the LED lightbars and how awesome but pricey they are... how much are they, where can you get them, and how much difference do they make?

·
5,365 Posts
the 20inch bar that inmotionjosh has on his truck is 700 bucks.
http://www.rigidindustries.com/Off-Road-LED-Light-Bars-s/64.htm

KC HiLites has a 10" bar for 1000 bucks - http://www.kchilites.com/lights/lzr-led/lzr-10-rect-54w-driving-black/

Vision X has 'em - an 18" bar that will run you about 1500 - http://www.visionxusa.com/LED/c1/index.html

bajadesigns has solteks for 1000+ - http://www.bajadesigns.com/

dunesrunner08 has some of the smaller baja designs solteks installed on his truck
in this thread - and provides some PROVOKED commentary on how nice/brite they are
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
4 Piaa 510's and two KC daylighters. Got all 4 Piaa's from craigslist for around $175.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts