The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 1994 F-450 7.3 DI Turbo
truck will not run but will crank over. noticed the oil smelled like diesel fuel and very thin.
truck has sat for 4 months. they had a injector wire harness short out and had both wiring harnesses replaced on both sides and had lift pump altornator, water pump, IDM and HPOP. truck will try to fire but will not. What will cause fuel to get in the oil besides injectors.

PS, miles on engine 130,795
Thanks.

·
3 Posts
Fuel in oil

I had the same problem w/ an 85 6.9.
Checked the oil a week or so after my mechanic had changed it and it was a couple quarts over. Had him drain some out & week or so later, same thing!
Ended up being the injector pump itself.
1st time I ever had a rig "making oil"...
Something to check into anyway.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem w/ an 85 6.9.
Checked the oil a week or so after my mechanic had changed it and it was a couple quarts over. Had him drain some out & week or so later, same thing!
Ended up being the injector pump itself.
1st time I ever had a rig "making oil"...
Something to check into anyway.
will check into that but, its new so hoppfully it dont need replaced.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Destroked

screw it i'm not paying for all of that to be fixed so, i have all the parts to install this.

Attachments

·
281 Posts
Do you get smoke out of the exhaust pipe while you're cranking it? If you do, that means that you are getting fuel into the cylinders but its just not igniting. I've had that issue on my truck in the past and it was usually because I had bad glow plugs, or a bad starter/batteries not cranking the engine fast enough. If you use an ohm meter between the ground post on your battery and the outer most pins on the plugs that plug into the valve cover gaskets, that should give you an idea of what your glow plugs are like. Or, it could be the glow plug relay itself. These engines have a pretty low compression ratio for a diesel ( to help control NOx emissions I'm sure ) and often need the glow plugs to start the engine even in the summer months. Or, you could just plug the block heater in for a few hours and that should be enough for the engine to start on its own, if that's the problem. I don't remember exactly what the resistance should be on the glow plugs but it should be but I don't think its much more than 1 ohm. When mine were bad they tested as open.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you get smoke out of the exhaust pipe while you're cranking it? If you do, that means that you are getting fuel into the cylinders but its just not igniting. I've had that issue on my truck in the past and it was usually because I had bad glow plugs, or a bad starter/batteries not cranking the engine fast enough. If you use an ohm meter between the ground post on your battery and the outer most pins on the plugs that plug into the valve cover gaskets, that should give you an idea of what your glow plugs are like. Or, it could be the glow plug relay itself. These engines have a pretty low compression ratio for a diesel ( to help control NOx emissions I'm sure ) and often need the glow plugs to start the engine even in the summer months. Or, you could just plug the block heater in for a few hours and that should be enough for the engine to start on its own, if that's the problem. I don't remember exactly what the resistance should be on the glow plugs but it should be but I don't think its much more than 1 ohm. When mine were bad they tested as open.
Thanks ill give it a shot and if this dont work im going to put a cummins in it for sure.

·
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, been working to hard but this was the problem. When the previous owner had it it had a short on the glow plug harness then the glow plug got too hot, snaped off, then beat the hell out of the piston my PSD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts