The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is My Dodge tugger that I bought a few years ago. Some friends of mine took it to their shop while I was in Iraq and got it running. They said it ran great until the bad fuel stopped working. Since then I have had the tank cleaned and I replaced the spin on fuel filter. Before I start pulling injector lines is that enough? Also, look at that bird’s nest of wires. Can someone please tell me what does not have to be there? I want to get rid of that cluster to prevent future problems. Also, how does the fuse panel that is hanging suppose to attach? I also have to repair that box on the fire wall. I notice it had melted at some point. The same thing happened to my 72 Dodge. Are they different on the diesel trucks as opposed to the gassers? I am looking for reliable back yard repairs. I cannot afford to spend any real money on this truck I just want this truck running for the time I plan to use it. After that I am pulling the engine and parting the truck. Oh yeah, what information do you Dodge guys require to help me figure out what tranny it has. I thought it was a 727 but the pan looks different than the one on my 72 Dodge.

·
141 Posts
The fuse box clips in under the steering wheel behind the lower dash panel there. Wiring was a weak point on the Dodges from that era and certainly explains your current state of affairs. Looks like they had problems and started a half-azzed project to try and re-wire or bypass the problems. That said, I wouldn't worry about it if you're parting it. If what's there is working it's probably better than what it replaced.

By a different trans pan, do you mean just deeper? The bolt pattern shape tells the story and it's almost 100% guaranteed to be a 727.

·
141 Posts
Considering it's geared way down with some outrageously steep ratio like 5.85 or something for the purpose of being a tug, an overdrive transmission would kind of be defeating the purpose.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I figured that. But a man can hope can't he? ;)

I am looking for an OD so I can swap out the 727 in my 72 Dodge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts