The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new at this, so excuse me if I don't have all of the abreviations right.

I have a 99 Ford F350 and the injector drive module is bad, or so the diagnostic scanner says, the guy that done the scan said it was in the fender well on the drivers side, that turns out to be the ECM, Ford tells me it is behind the dash on the passenger side, under the cowl, does anybody have a diagram or know what has to come out to get to it?

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
It is under the inner fender well on the driver's side. Jack the truck up, take the tire off, remove the inner fender and look for the black box.

That is your IDM.

Your ECM/PCM is under the Emergency Brake on the firewall. It has to be accessed from under the hood as well as inside to remove.

I don't know who at Ford told you otherwise, but having removed both of them (the PCM more than a few times) the "Ford" person either got confused or doesn't know these trucks.

prt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help, I don't think the guy at Ford knew, he did not sound to convincing, sounded like he was looking at a pic, I thought it would be odd to have to remove the air-bag and heater core, and there wern't enough wires headed that way for me to believe the IDM was there.

May have been a cruel April fools joke ?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
97 Posts
Yeah - I have mine out right now. Take out enough of the fender liner bolts that you can reach up behind the F250 emblem, and then you will need a 10mm socket to get the 1 bolt out of the middle of the harness, and then the 2 that hold it in it's casing to the truck inner framing....

Out of curiosity, what are your symptoms??

·
391 Posts
When a scanner reads IDM failure, it is not necessarily the IDM. A more common problem is under valve cover wiring. If a harness comes loose somewhere, you will get a code for IDM failure. I would check these connections before spending any money on an IDM. And yes, it is an easy job to remove and replace the IDM.

Reactions: Tom2277

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went that route, the guy that had the truck said they had the valve covers off, so first I pulled the right side valve cover- the side that was dead, checked continuity from each injector through valve-cover-gasket, then from there back to what looked to be a juction where the right and left side connnected. Found no breaks to there, now we may still have a problem from there to the IDM.

Also found a good tech bulletin from GB Reman to test the ohms between the pins in the plug that goes into the IDM to rule out posible shorts in the harness that may damage the IDM. Hope this works, it will be Monday before I get back to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts