The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Im really sick of the 7.3 now. I bought my truck with 185,000 and it was owned by a diesel tech before me. I drove it for about 10,000 miles and one cylinder lost compression. I parted that motor out and used that money and bought a 100,000 mile motor from petes auto parts buy me. I put that one in and I have about 8,000 miles on it and I think I broke a rod or something let loose. It started to sound like the serpentine belt had started to shred and a piece was flinging around so I pulled over to open the hood and while I was opening it it started knocking like crazy on and off then dies and now it barley starts and runs like crap and knocks so I towed it to work to tear it down. It never lost oil pressure and I havent roded on it for weeks. All I have is a chip and whats in my sig. I do believe I will be leavign you guys and joining the 12V club like Iv always wanted just not owning a dodge.

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
Just one suggestion please.!!!

goto www.destroked.com
i have checked it out before. You can get adapters to mount a 12V with a Allison 1000 in your ford. Look at the pics and just think about it. I do agree that the cummins is way better but can't stand the junk dodge. IMO Ford majorly F***ed up giving the cummins rights to dodge.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Keep your chin up.

12v, don't be a quitter!!!

I've got a 7.3 out of a 98 van with forged rods if you may be interested.

Good luck regardless....

·
Registered
343 Posts
My 12v is for sale I was looking at getting a 7.3 next:poke:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Big Gray dodge said:
My 12v is for sale I was looking at getting a 7.3 next:poke:
I don't come down to the dodge forum runnin' my mouth.....

If Dodge makes it, wouldn't Cummins shake it???? Just throwin' that out there.

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I meet a few guys just down the road from me that are all ford guys and they have cummins in a few of them. The one is guna be pushing 1800hp and hes spent less money than it would cost me to get a set of injectors and a small turbo. The one guy has all the adapter and stuff for about $1100 to do the conversion out of his SD pulling truck that he put a 12V in. I can get HUGE injectors and a turbo for like $1500 for a 12V from adam and I can be pushing 600HP and not even think about the bottom end.

·
862 Posts
:stupid: Someone is feeding you a load of crap if you think they can make 1800 hp for the same price as injectors and a turbo.

Go ask the real guys making 1000+ hp with their 12v's how much money they sank into their rigs. :popcorn:

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok im not talkin the whole motor and everything. Im talking twins injectors, and a pump. He does own a diesel shop and get things at cost so that helps but Iv seen the truck watched it dyno and Iv seen the build sheets. Its not crap. He was guna try for 1800HP but the dyno hes guna run on only goes to 1500 so we are guna just max out the dyno and call it good.

·
862 Posts
Macktruckdriver said:
Ok im not talkin the whole motor and everything. Im talking twins injectors, and a pump. He does own a diesel shop and get things at cost so that helps but Iv seen the truck watched it dyno and Iv seen the build sheets. Its not crap. He was guna try for 1800HP but the dyno hes guna run on only goes to 1500 so we are guna just max out the dyno and call it good.
Ok, so he's getting injectors, turbo and a pump for the same wholesale price that I would pay retail for PSD injectors and a turbo. That still doesn't make 1800 hp.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Whats his name? anyone putting down 1800hp is bound to be known as a diesel god. I don't know of anyone putting down 1800hp in a street truck. Sled pullers of drag racers yeah maybe but not on the street

Turbos are turbos they will cost the same for any engine. And yeah injectors are cheap but the decent ones still cost $900

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
yea in la la land.
I think its kinda ego thing. Plus if the dyno maxes at 1500. then you wouldn't know it made 1800. thats a 300hp void. plus the last write up i saw on a 12v it only made 650 on motor, custom pump, injectors, turbo. but it had 3 stages of nitrous that put it over 1200hp. i think it was in :8lug or something.

:believe 1800hp???

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
A 12 valve can make 600 with some injectors, a turbo, basic pump mods, and supporting hardware. But above 1000hp is pushing the envelope and will have a lot of custom work

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
Dont be hatin, man!LOL :popcorn:

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I have two in my fleet, one has 380K original miles with only one set of injectors since new. The other had to ba rebuilt due to a missing air filter that imbedded blown turbo fins into the tops of all 8 pistons! It had 280K on it, and the retard of a driver removed the filter out of stupidity.

In my tow truck I have a DT444e that has well over 515K on it and the valve covers are still factory sealed, that truck has a 1 HPOP, and 1 Low pressure fuel pump. I have another truck with the same engine with 350K that has performed almost flawlessly also.

Either you got a bad couple of motors (luck of the draw type of deal) or something els is going on, but I have to say that the 7.3 has been a very good motor in my book.

Tony

·
Registered
343 Posts
Fast_Ashley said:
I don't come down to the dodge forum runnin' my mouth.....

If Dodge makes it, wouldn't Cummins shake it???? Just throwin' that out there.
Iam not Running my mouth but when someone takes the dodge off my hands Iam getting a 7.3 I love the cummins but hate dodge

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
To the O.P., did you crack the heads and oil pan off the second engine to make sure it was clean??

Maybe it wasn't everything the guy who sold it you made it out to be....

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
just fix it

·
Registered
211 Posts
actually guys we put down 1111hp on just a 215 pump and a silver bullit at the HTS transmissions dyno day we are shoting for 1800+++++++++ now it will be done at the Merchant Automotive Spring Fling so come and see it. we have been talkin to Dunbar to get what we need. here is just alittle bit of the build.

a 1200cc p pump off of Kent Crowders modd puller
a 66 on top of a S480 modded charger
4 seperate NOS stages with 4 bottles feeding it all with wideopen jetting
we even had to have custom rims made to run a 33/16/15 slick since dunbar figured that would be the only way to keep the truck hooked up on the dyno.

now since we did 1111hp with a 66 ,a stock 215 and NOS we should be able to do 1800+++ with a pump that is allready able to do 1800 fuel only on a modd puller forsurewhen we are adding lots of NOS.

so now you can layoff MR.Mack and just come to MI this spring and see it for your selfif anything we will be the first to max out dunbars 1500hp dyno

1 - 20 of 101 Posts