The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on saturday my 02 LB7 ran perfect (and it was @10deg. outside). that afternoon i put on a juice box and took it for a drive, it ran great then too. today i got in it for my weekly 335mi drive south. @ 100 mi into the trip i thought it started dieseling a little louder than normal, but didnt think much of(maybe i was paying extra attention to sounds due to the new box). another 100mi later the dieseling was REALLY getting louder.

i thought it might be some bad fuel, so i filled up again with BP fuel. it didnt really change much. it hasnt lost any noticable power, but does have a loud "dieseling" from what seem like the top-end, and the milage is down a bit.

im new to the diesel world, and have no ideas what to do at this point. i dont know if it would be from gel'd fuel(it was about 15-20 on the drive), dropped injector, bad pump, etc..

i need some elp please..

thanks, ray

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
:whs

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did this morning on my way to work, and it sounded the same.

let me try and describe what it sounds like. have you ever used a long handle screwdriver to try and find a noise in a motor. you move it around from place to place trying to hear where a noise is coming from, while putting your ear to the handle of the screwdriver. the sound im hearing is like you put the screwdriver on an air pump. but its lound enough that i can hear it in the cab over the normal dieseling.

its got me a bit upset cause im not familiar with diesels enough to figure it out myself.

·
3,939 Posts
In order of cheapest fix to expensive:

Check the bale connectors where the Juice plugged in. Make sure all the little pin connectors are pushed in the plug and seated. Sometimes those things can get pushed back slightly and strange things start happening.

Check all the silver intercooler piping...make sure you didnt accidentally loosen a blue boot on one of them somewhere. It can happen.

Change fuel filter. You may very well got some bad fuel, just not bad enough to cause the engine to power down.

Injector went bad. They're covered to 200,000 miles/7years. Do you have a friend at a GM dealership, or know someone with a handheld tuner that can check your balance rates? Look at your dipstick. Does it smell like fuel or is the level higher?

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill check everything when i get out of work this evening. if i lost an injector, i would think their would be, at the least, some type of noticable power loss. i know in racing, if i dropped a cylinder, i knew it. i guess im just trying to talk myself out of the thought of having to injectors replaced.

thanks for the help

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if an injector was bad, would i feel a power loss, or hesitation, or miss, or something other than a noise? like i said, this is a new ballgame to me.

thanks again

·
3,939 Posts
VictoryRay said:
if an injector was bad, would i feel a power loss, or hesitation, or miss, or something other than a noise? like i said, this is a new ballgame to me.

thanks again

Not necessarily. Our injectors like to overfuel, not shutdown, so if one is just on the other side of good, it could run oddly.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so i checked the pins in the plugs and all was fine. i checked all the tubing and didnt find anything that needed tightening. i also changed the fuel filter, and i seamed to help a little, but now i do notice that it is down in power. do the injectors have a fuse or relay individualy, or are they tied into the same driver? i looked at all the fuses and couldnt find anything blown.

if it is an injector, what are some of the tell-tale signs to look for? what is the average milage the injectors are going out at, or are they just randome?

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is the sensor(or float) in tne bottom of the fuel filter? i dont know if i did it while installing the egt but the blue wire is broke off at the housing. it could have been that way for a while (that was the first time i had replaced the filter).

the weird part of it is, i could swear that for a minute or so yesterday it cleared up and ran fine.

man, you talk about frustrating....

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would a regular hand held scanner work for checking the balance, or does it have to be specific? i have a regular handheld up home(335mi away) il have the wife send it to me if itll check what i need it to.

·
Registered
155 Posts
VictoryRay said:
would a regular hand held scanner work for checking the balance, or does it have to be specific? i have a regular handheld up home(335mi away) il have the wife send it to me if itll check what i need it to.
AFAIK you need the original GM scanner that dealers have to do the balance test. Did you check the filters yet? :popcorn:

·
3,939 Posts
Just the one fuel filter. IIRC, that blue wire is the WIF sensor wire. It shouldnt affect performance. You've got me stumped. Hopefully one of the GM techs that frequent our board will see this thread and answer.

Quite a few handheld tuners can read balance rates. PPE, Diablosport, Quad, etc....

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i called merchants yesterday, and let me say first off, the guy i talked to(i dont know what his name was) was probably the nicest shop guy i have EVER talked too(and i even told him i was three states away and probably wouldnt be brining the truck to him to get fixed).. he said that it sounded like it might be a couple things: fuel preasure regulator or injector. i called a local chevy dealer that has a pretty big diesel shop and set up an appointment for friday to have them put their scanner on it.

if it turns out to be an injector, does any kind of warrenty get voided with the Edge being on it?

i think if i ever had to have any kind of major work done, that i would have to make the haul to holland, michigan. i was really impressed that much by one phone call..

·
1,409 Posts
If at all possible remove the edge thingy you got. If it has been removed for a day or two that is ideal. If the dealer is really cool then they won't care, but most aren't. If your edge is a downloader have it sent and return it to stock. If the tech working on your truck is a "techie" he can tell when you have last accessed the ecm/pcm (whatever you call it), but most either don't care or are too lazy.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have had it un-hooked since monday. i was just wondering if it should be physicaly removed from the truck. remove it or note, i think the egt probe in the header is a dead give-away.

i just didnt know if gm would "deny" the warrenty on the injectors for the Edge being on it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts