The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am giving my truck one hell of an over haul when I return home. One of the upgrades I want is a set of twin turbos. I know my engine will require some work for this and I wanted to go through it anyway. So, what parts should I begin stock piling and where would be a good source to get them?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
To start make sure the engine is in good mechanical condition. At minimum, I would suggest new injectors, larger exhaust, and a transmission rebuild.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The transmission is ready. I currently have BDP stage one injectos but I might up grade. I am more concerned with internals. What kind of up grades should I look into and what kind of head work should I have done? (Other than head studs)

·
833 Posts
headstuds are the big one you already have forged rods from the factory.

twins alone will not tear up the engine it all depends on the fuel you push in there too that is what makes the power. If you stay under stage 3 you wont' have a problem with the bottom end.

You may want to consider upgrading your valve springs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Question is. . .how much power to you plan/want to make? That will determine exactly what you'll need to have done. If you plan to stay around 350-400hp, then you probably won't need to do anything else. Usually compounds are use for bigger HP numbers though. . .a good single charge will get you to those numbers w/o many issues.

·
862 Posts
Talk to Zane at WOP. They are supposed to have a good kit. If anything, they'll have lots of info to share and can at least give you some solid advice.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted a response earlier but it did not go through. I'll try it again.

I am think some where around 500HP is good enough. I want this to be a street driven tow monster.

What is WOP?

·
Registered
300 Posts
For 500hp, you'll want a set of hybrid injectors. . .you can get there with A codes (you'll need about 230-240ish CC injectors w/sufficient size nozzles to get the fuel out), but you'd have to upgrade your HPOP. . .may still need a SD HPOP to run the hybrids, but that will depend on the condition of your pump.

You'll want to address your valve springs. . .comp 910's are cheap and work well.

Head studs are a definite must.

You'll need to upgrade your fuel system, the factory mechanical pump's not gonna cut it. Dual superduty pumps in parallel is a proven cheap solution, or you can go with the A1000 or an airdog etc.

Intercooler would be advised, especially to keep the temps down while towing.

Other than that, you should be fine. The factory forged connecting rods are good for about 550ish HP.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. That is good ifnormation.

This is what I have now
BDP fuel system
Terminator HPO
BDP stage one injectors
Custom tuner
And a bunch of banks stuff that will be coming off.

I do have a plan for a dual intercooler layout. I'll go more into that after I select the turbos I want.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Any plans for chemical power adders?

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking about CNG. But that is a huge up front exspense. I would like to learn more about the HHO graze and if it really does bennefit our big trucks. Those are mostly for fuel mileage though. I will not say I won't ad propane or NOS but I do not plan to at this time.

·
812 Posts
BDP stage one injectors
you will need alot more injector if you want to hit 500+ stage one would only be good for around 330ish. i would go for some 230ish hybrids

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I will contact them.

I know this is going to be a stupid question to most people, but I am curious.

I do not drive with a heavy foot and I am pretty good about stretching every gallon of fuel I put in my truck. With the mods that have been mentioned in this thread combined with my some what relaxed driving style will I see a decrease in mileage or an increase?

·
812 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts