The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking through an issue of 8-lug, and I noticed in this little write up of Ryan Villopoto's F250 with the Icon 4.5 lift, that his rear axle is noticeably shifted towards the rear of the truck. Guys with this lift, are your's like this or did they just do something weird?

·
18 Posts
Nothing weird... Just the way it beez.

·
Green Goose No Juice
160 Posts
No scrubbing when flexing? Seems like it would with those 35s.. Id hate to see it flex with 37s

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pic I posted has 37s so that should give you some comparison....... Looks like the tires will hit wheel well when it compresses......?

·
518 Posts
I got the Rize 6inch tapered blocks with mine and my axle was centered perfectly

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
The shackle is in the rear, so when the axle compresses, the axle shifts forward. That being said, the tire won't hit anything.

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shackle is in the rear, so when the axle compresses, the axle shifts forward. That being said, the tire won't hit anything.
So, when Spatel23's rear suspension compresses, his will still move towards the front and possibly hit? I'm somewhat confused if it would be better to leave it un centered or correct it like he did? I understand what your saying that it will move forward which makes sense, but does the tapered block make it not want to move the axle forward when it compresses?

·
Built not bought...
72 Posts
I was looking at some of the manufacturers the other day and noticed that 05-07 rear leaf packs and 08-10 weren't the same. Even though the front stuff is. They said something about the center locating pin being offset alittle. Now this is just a guess, but if they were to put the earlier stuff on the rear of say, an 09. Wouldn,t this cause what you see in the picture. If you look on Deaver springs website they even have different rear springs listed for different years. And the pictures they have back up what they said about the offset. Looks to me like somebody made a booboo. And managed to print a picture of it in a magazine. One of you guys on here that sells suspension correct me if this wrong.

·
Built not bought...
72 Posts
Maybe so. I dont know. Still just doesnt look good outa center like that. Maybe its like djbp said "thats just how it beez". But if I spent the money that that kit cost and my trucks rear wheels looked outa center like that, I'd call the company and be like "hey, WTF". And then have them explain it to me... Just my opinion though.

·
101 Posts
OUO adjustable traction blocks will allow you to move the axle forward to better center the wheel and tire in the wheel well. Just a thought

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
So, when Spatel23's rear suspension compresses, his will still move towards the front and possibly hit? I'm somewhat confused if it would be better to leave it un centered or correct it like he did? I understand what your saying that it will move forward which makes sense, but does the tapered block make it not want to move the axle forward when it compresses?
If the shackle is in the rear, the axle will move forward when the spring compresses, and move backwards when the spring extends, REGARDLESS of the spring, lift, blocks, anything. Most lift springs are stiffer, and thus won't compress much, so I doubt it'll hit, but it could. Plus, if he has shackles that are not longer than stock, the axle won't move forward any more than stock springs would. Longer shackles will allow more flex, thus allowing more axle movement. If towing is involved, or even heavy loads in the bed, beware.

I bet his new lift springs have the centering pin a certain distance from the spring eye so the axle will be in the center. I doubt the block has an offset hole for the centering pin to compensate.

Tapered blocks have nothing to do with the movement of the springs. Tapered blocks just point the pinion higher towards the transfer case, reducing the angle where the driveshaft connects to the pinion, thus decreasing vibrations and increasing u-joint life.

·
68 Posts
The 2008+ leaf spring rear mounting point is higher than the front. When you add a lift block, the center point of the axle in relationship to the wheel well is moved towards the rear of the truck. Here is a crude, exaggerated drawing that might help...

Like someone mentioned, OUO makes an adjustable block (I have them). These things are beefy and well made. I have seen some other sites offering cast blocks with an offset center that helps align the axle within the wheel well. Now why a reputable company like ICON doesn't do this to their blocks, I don't know. I guess they don't feel it's enough to make a difference.

Hope this helps!

·
42 Posts
Hows a guy suppose to load his bike with the spare there??
Seems like a BS spot for your spare tire!
Just looking through an issue of 8-lug, and I noticed in this little write up of Ryan Villopoto's F250 with the Icon 4.5 lift, that his rear axle is noticeably shifted towards the rear of the truck. Guys with this lift, are your's like this or did they just do something weird?

·
Built not bought...
72 Posts
Check out Tiregate.com. They are made to be turned around so a bike or a quad can still fit in the bed. They can be angled in like you see, or pull the pins and flip it around the other way and you still have all your bed space. Plus they can carry up to a 40" spare tire. Kinda cool, but may not be for everybody.

·
18 Posts
:whs

·
42 Posts
That works just seems like more bling thing than being functional

·
452 Posts
i thought the 08 and up the leafs are longer?
The leaf springs on 08+ trucks are 8" longer. On 99-07 trucks, the front half of the leaf spring is 8" shorter that the rear half is. On the 08+ leaf springs, the front and rear of the springs are the same length.

·
Team White
727 Posts
My trucks rear axle was off center after my lift to. I have OUO traction blocks so I just upgraded to their adjustable upper mount and it took care of it perfectly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts