The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mr. sweatt
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's it take to get a tach hooked up on an idi 7.3? I know I have to have a cam position sensor but I don't know if there's one on it or do I have to install one??

·
91 Posts
International used a magnetic pickup off of the flywheel housing. Not sure if Autometer tach's will work, I think they have a set up that will work for you.

·
279 Posts
The tach sensor for the IDI is on the timing gear housing. A large nut with two wires sticking out of it. You will see it on the drivers side next to the injection pump.

·
mr. sweatt
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
If heard of guys using an aftermarket tach but not sure the brand and how it ran. The posts above are correct the tach runs off a sensor that is plugged into the timing gear housing.

When installing it clean up the tip of the sensor because you can get metal fragments and other junk on it and that will cause the tach to not read correct. Also before you install it make sure the 2 wires coming out of it are not messed up, sometimes the wires will fray and break right at the base of the sensor and thus will also cause the tach to not read correct.

See the oil fill tube? The tach sensor goes just to the right of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts