The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added this post under towing because of its possible advantage to milage while towing. I plan to place mounts on top of rack for adding a wing. Mounts on top on both sides are for mounting lights. Mounts on top facing front are for air horns.

·
5,365 Posts
nice looking rack...but i hate to break the news to you...
those "WINGS" have been proven INEFFECTIVE !

·
2,821 Posts
Stout Rack! Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bushpilot,

One thing I have figured out. The 6.7L engine is fickle. There are a lot of ads that tell us they will give you 1-4mpg increase. Injectors and boxes and intakes tell us a lot of crap. It is a trade off. I installed an MP8 before leaving last year on a 6k trip out west. It gave more power but no fuel mpg increase. We ran into 50mph head winds south of Moab, UT last year and milage went down to 5-6. We kept a log for the entire trip. We added a ton of CO. red stone in Penrose, CO. and our milage did not decrease. The big milage thing is wind resistance not weight. For my 100 mile trips I don't expect to see big savings but on our 1000-6000 mile trips I expect to see small gains. Every little bit helps.:goodvsevil

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
very nice looking rack!!!!!

:bubbakevin:bubba

·
1,189 Posts
nice looking rack...but i hate to break the news to you...
those "WINGS" have been proven INEFFECTIVE !
it really depends on what your towing to house useful a wing is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
5,365 Posts
dont shoot the messenger....all im sayin is what ive read in the tests & reports.
there is NO real ROI. The GAIN in MPG is barely measurable & not worth the
investment or added weight.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
The GAIN in MPG is barely measurable & not worth the investment or added weight.
Maybe so, BUT some people think they are cool........:thumbsup

:bubbakevin:bubba

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: MadvilleMustangs

·
180 Posts
lol i just read all of that :p

·
5,365 Posts

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
This says it all. From my research I understand the wing should be not more than 36" from the towed object. Now there is nothing you can say that with a wall like this above your cab you will not benefit from a wing? Some people live RV full time. Some people are weekend towers. Of course the week end warriors will not benefit from tried and true experience. A full timer will experiment with distance from towed object, to vehicle speed. Number one killer of MPG, pre DPF is speed. When speed goes up wind resistance doubles proportionally. I don't remember exact numbers, but I think they were from 60 to 65 the wind resistance doubles. Think what the wind resistance is at 80 which most people drive at. That means they are breaking hurricane force winds!!! Common sense, not so common, slow down and gain MPG!!!!!!! If I keep my truck at 65mph I will see 24mpg ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!! HAND CALCULATED!!!!!!! If I go with traffic I am luck to see 18mpg!!!!!!!! :eek:wned

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
I had a wing on my '00 CC PSD/6 spd DRW. Looky purdy, kept the bugs off the nose of the trailer(middle most-outside 6" maybe not). Bling factor was the reason and with all the pulling I did back then I never saw ANY improvement. I ran 65-70 most all times, the biggest change was when NOT pulling the trailer. You could definitely FEEL the wing buffeting the wind with no trailer on. Likely cost fuel then? I kept strict records with mileage the two years I ran it and never saw any advantages. Speed/rpm is what kills MPG, as if I went over 70, it dropped drastically.

Those super tall 5'ers will really not see any improvement in my eyes. They are constructed with enough curve anymore to be just as good as a wing.

Attachments

Reactions: bushpilot

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
double post

·
1,060 Posts
ah you guys bummed me out, I thought about putting a removable wing on my truck because when I towed my 7X16 inclosed across the states I watched the front of the trailer panels cave in, I know exactly where the cross beams are located.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
I had a wing on my '00 CC PSD/6 spd DRW. Looky purdy, kept the bugs off the nose of the trailer(middle most-outside 6" maybe not). Bling factor was the reason and with all the pulling I did back then I never saw ANY improvement. I ran 65-70 most all times, the biggest change was when NOT pulling the trailer. You could definitely FEEL the wing buffeting the wind with no trailer on. Likely cost fuel then? I kept strict records with mileage the two years I ran it and never saw any advantages. Speed/rpm is what kills MPG, as if I went over 70, it dropped drastically.

Those super tall 5'ers will really not see any improvement in my eyes. They are constructed with enough curve anymore to be just as good as a wing.
That's a sharp rig. You're not that tall there though. You're right about the front of the newer 5'ers. I've been looking at them and some have even sloped the front out instead of making a wall out of the nose. They have even gone to creating vanes in the molding of the glass noses. Not exactly sure the benefits, but channeling air is the priority so I'm sure they benefit MPG.

ah you guys bummed me out, I thought about putting a removable wing on my truck because when I towed my 7X16 inclosed across the states I watched the front of the trailer panels cave in, I know exactly where the cross beams are located.
If your can see the front skin of your trailer flexing that bad under the pressure of air. I think I could justify the benefit to myself. A wing is cheaper than getting a sturdier built trailer. Sooner or later you gonna have issues with water leaks due to rivets ripping the skin. Not to mention now the skin is ripping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts