The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel pressure at idle seems to be increasing with time at idle. I have an autometer sport comp guage plumbed to the back of the fuel bowl. Idle pressure 2 years ago was 70-72 psi with no mods at all to the regulator. Now it is 76 psi with the same set-up. WOT drops to 30psi. Have throttle is steady for a few seconds at a time drops 10-20 psi intermittently. 02 with 180k. Guage readings today immediately following air/fuel/oil service with new filters. I suspect a weak fuel pump and regulator springs, but would like a little more feed back before I spend money. TIA

·
626 Posts
Mechanical or electrical gauge? I wonder if the gauge itself might be getting wonky on you (the increasing fuel psi with more mileage is odd) but with that many miles, dropping to 30 psi @ WOT isn't unheard of. FWIW, with the fuel system mods in my sig, the OE high pressure pump, and a moderately healthy set of injectors, my fuel pressure drops maybe 2 psi @ WOT...

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a mechanical guage that I had made to a heavy duty hydralic line with press fittings. It has been under the hood a long time. Is that OE pump you have upgraded or the same as what came out on them originally? I was thinking about ordering the Walbro but if there is a better one I would like to have that option to think about. Thanks.

·
626 Posts
Is that OE pump you have upgraded or the same as what came out on them originally?
Nope--my high pressure pump is the factory unit. The AirDog probably helped a bunch (didn't put the fuel pressure gauge on until after I installed the AD) since now the main pump isn't doing all the work--now it has a helper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts