The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you adjust idle on 01 dodge ram diesel ? mine is idleing high and bangs in and out of gear. thanks

·
3,514 Posts
that should be an ECM issue, you may need it reflashed. Check for codes, cycle the key from on/off,on/off,on/off then on again, without starting the the truck, do this in a very rapid order with no delays between the cycles. Then look in your odometer readout and it will display any codes if you have them.
These trucks have electronically controlled injection pumps so there shouldn't be anything mechanical you can do.

You can get an incab idle adjuster, or high idler which will let you control your trucks idle with a knob in the cab.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
An in cab will only increase idle. It won't fix the problem you are having now. You will need a reflash for that. The in cab is good for cold mornings and high idling to reduce the chance of wash down.

·
3,514 Posts
I wasn't sure about that, my friend had one on his truck and he said you could go higher or lower, but he kinda says things that aren't really true from time to time so. Anyways, yeah looks like a reflash is on the books for ya.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Maybe he has something other than what I am thinking about. I am thinking of a manually adjusted knob similar to a throttle handle on a fire pump that has a quick disconnect if you have to jam on the brakes. Does he have some type of electronic module maybe that changes the ecm settings?

·
3,514 Posts
Thats what I thought it was (the electronic one) but I really don't know and he sold the truck about a year ago so I can't go look and find out. I'll call the vendor he bought it from and see.
Sean

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....im a little new to all this .. what exactly does a "reflash" mean and how do i get this done...thanks

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
You go to the dealer and they "reflash" or reprogram the trucks computer. The dealer is the only place you can get it done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will a reflash help with my sloppy shift points ? sometimes in the 3 to 4 shift it feels funny. intermintantly

·
3,514 Posts
it may, but that would be more of a PCM issue whereas the idle is an ECM issue and I think they only reflash one, you could have them reflash both though. Do you use your O/D off button. I find that holding out until 55mph-ish really helps with the auto, then letting it shift into 4th.
Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts