The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know with my powerstroke that it is not good to let the engine idle for any period of time, is it alright to let the duramax idle????

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
you mean in park for long periods of time. No i let mine idel for hrs in the cold weather while im eating in a resteraunt or in the store i just leave it running. Burns fuel but wont hurt it.

·
236 Posts
Unnessacary idling is one of the things you should NOT do to your engine. Lower combustion pressure and boost levels result in increased carbon deposit build up in rings and raised soot levels in your oil.

JUst pull off the interstate and gonna run in and grab a soda and letting it run is one thing. Sitting down at McDs to get your burger on though is another and I don't reccomend it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
not a good idea for anything over like 30-45 minutes, for all the reason madmatt said, jsut get a high idle program, or however D-Max does it

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
cajuncummins said:
not a good idea for anything over like 30-45 minutes, for all the reason madmatt said, jsut get a high idle program, or however D-Max does it
Yes i have a high idel swich and that does come in handy. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not like to let mine idle for long periods of time. I wouldn't mind if I had the high idle switch, but just at a regular idle, I wouldn't let it idle for any longer than a warm up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I let mine idle when im sleeping in it and its cold outside, or hot outside. This is a rare occasion, only when i have an overnight haul. Never noticed any harm done to the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
never idle for long periods

From area GM rep and my top Diesel tech. The way the turbo is set up this truck, it likes to be spooled pretty good, but running idle you lose oil flow or pressure. It will cause a premature leakage from the oil feeder tube to the turbo, not a lot of oil at first......then ya will see it running down everwhere. I would only idle at stops lights (duh) and when fueling or making a quick drop off. But after I found this info out and sprung the leak. I cut it off more often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts