The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But besides that....I just bought a new truck with a bunch of Banks add ons...(Yeah...I know...They're junk). Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if my truck has a Banks 6 Gun on it.

Where do I look to find out if it has the module?

I bought the truck used with a Banks exhaust, Banks intake manifold and a Banks Ram Air......so my guess is that if the truck does have a programmer on it...it's gonna be a Banks, right?

But, the only problem is that I am new to these trucks and have no idea of where to look to see if it is actually equipped with the tuner.

After doing some research, I am pretty dead set on going with a SCT Tune.

I plan on doing a lot of highway driving and towing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
if it has a six gun on it it will be plugged into the pcm which is behind the drivers side battery. it will be a red box with black cables. one connector will be into pcm middle connector and the factory connector will be plugged into it. so if the middle connector in the pcm has all black wires in it just fallow the wires youll find it.

·
3,051 Posts
bunch of Banks add ons...(Yeah...I know...They're junk).

Actually, I think the Banks exhaust and intake stuff is pretty good. It's only his 6.0 programmers that I've heard some people have trouble with, but then again some people don't. I like the Banks exhaust system that I have on my truck, its quiet and it fit like a glove when installing. Just my opinion. Like everyones said so far, if you don't see any dials or display module in the cab, then likely it's been removed before you got the truck, or it never had one. Does your truck have gauges installed (pyro+boost)? Usually, if it already has gauges, then it likely had a programmer as well. If you don't have gauges, I would recommend you get them, especially for towing and a programmer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Floor it haha. If it takes off then you have a programmer! But really, look for the connector box and wires. The banks stuff on the truck now are not bad, get some SCT tunning and the madness begins

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Gotta throw in my $.02 on this one. As Harry said above, not all Banks products are crap. Granted we all badmouth em, we have a reason. It is those people out there with the banks products who think they have a super truck, though dont realize they do have something good but paid too much, and could have got a better programmer for cheaper.

That said, the banks hardware is some OK stuff though overpriced. I have seen this all first hand on my dads truck- the exhaust is nice, has a sweet tone to it (though still overpriced). The IC helps keep the EGTs down, not sure the price diff between banks and competitors. He does not have the intake from them though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I looked under the hood and there is no programmer. The truck has about a 2-3 second lag time from when the pedal is floored to when the truck actually starts going anywhere.

I plan on using the truck for interstate hauling (about 10,000lbs). The truck currently has 37's on it with a 6 inch lift or so. That will be the first thing to go.

If I were to install a 3-4 inch lift, how big of tires can I run. The truck has 20's on it now w/ 37X13.5's......They are just too big for my tastes.

They look great but are just not practical for what I am going to do with the truck.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
kizzzottt said:
Well, I looked under the hood and there is no programmer. The truck has about a 2-3 second lag time from when the pedal is floored to when the truck actually starts going anywhere.

I plan on using the truck for interstate hauling (about 10,000lbs). The truck currently has 37's on it with a 6 inch lift or so. That will be the first thing to go.

If I were to install a 3-4 inch lift, how big of tires can I run. The truck has 20's on it now w/ 37X13.5's......They are just too big for my tastes.

They look great but are just not practical for what I am going to do with the truck.
w/ a 3-4" lift then you could still fit 35" tires...

·
Registered
132 Posts
kizzzottt said:

What kind of wheels and tires are on that rig? Post some pics!

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
kizzzottt said:
The truck currently has 37's on it with a 6 inch lift or so. That will be the first thing to go.
What year is the truck, wanna trade?

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
NukleusX said:
Gotta throw in my $.02 on this one. As Harry said above, not all Banks products are crap. Granted we all badmouth em, we have a reason. It is those people out there with the banks products who think they have a super truck, though dont realize they do have something good but paid too much, and could have got a better programmer for cheaper.

That said, the banks hardware is some OK stuff though overpriced. I have seen this all first hand on my dads truck- the exhaust is nice, has a sweet tone to it (though still overpriced). The IC helps keep the EGTs down, not sure the price diff between banks and competitors. He does not have the intake from them though.

:woot: excatly what he said LOL

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Thanks out to sabbath for agreeing to a point that people often look over. I really do like the sound of the banks exhaust on my dad's 6.0, though its a service body truck so instead of normal exhaust it has a turndown just after the rear axle- IMO it sounds sweet... Though i have yet to hear an exhaust on a PSD or DMAX that compares to the sound of a 5" turbo back straight piped 6.0... (not sure the brand of the exhaust though was straight up sweet sounding)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flopster843 said:
What year is the truck, wanna trade?
Well, I have already replaced the tires with a set of 35" Terra Grapplers. They seem to be a pretty quiet tire and look decent.

I will be selling the 37" Mud Grappler's that came off of the truck.

I am interested to see what the different tires will achieve for fuel mileage. We'll have to see.

If the mileage doesn't go up any, I will try lowering the truck.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the truck looks, but I bought it for towing a trailer full of motorcycles up and down the interstate and need as much economy as I can get.

For those who asked for a pic, it is here:

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
NukleusX said:
Thanks out to sabbath for agreeing to a point that people often look over. I really do like the sound of the banks exhaust on my dad's 6.0, though its a service body truck so instead of normal exhaust it has a turndown just after the rear axle- IMO it sounds sweet... Though i have yet to hear an exhaust on a PSD or DMAX that compares to the sound of a 5" turbo back straight piped 6.0... (not sure the brand of the exhaust though was straight up sweet sounding)

next time you come up you can hear my 4" straight with 5" stack! :smoke

Garrett

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The banks sounds sweet, I must say. It is awesome to hear (people who do not know how a diesel sounds), talk about the loud whistling that the exhaust is making....cracks me up.

·
310 Posts
Nice Truck

·
singles member #53
229 Posts
good looking truck i might add.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts