The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I have a dilema, should I fix or sell my truck. Pretty much it wants a transmission, and now I think my VP is acting up. After my recent stint with the not starting when hot I've encountered the problem of the truck just dies from time to time. I'm showing fine fuel pressure with the FASS about 14ish. I don't know what else it could be, I'm throwing a p1693 code which I know just means I'm having some other problem else where, could it be my APPS or cam position sensor or is it most likely my VP. The symptoms are, The check engine light is on, and Sometimes the truck just dies, twice at idle, and twice while moving once was over 25mph.

If it is my pump, does anyone have a decent price on the Hot Rod pump, I know a lot of people say its nothing special but if I get any extra power from it, and its only a couple hundred bucks more, I wouldn't mind going that route. Thanks, Sean.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
you dont really want to get rid of it do you??

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sstocken or whatever
I would shoot for the CAM senser before anything!
Even a Coolant Temp senser (a little more unlikely but don't rule it out)

Also you'd be suprised what crappy oil can do to a Diesel engine.

In my opinion, as long as you can rule out the VP44, I wouldn't sell it, just fix it.

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't think I'm really going to sell it, its just frustrating me right now, it seems like everytime I fix something, something new starts happening. If I sell it, then I have to start all over again, so hopefully it turns out to be something other than my vp.

I think this thread was just a frustrated reaction, any other suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, the truck is for sale, just make me the right offer. Everything has its price.

Sean

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
i know from 2 guys that hadn't changed oil like they should that bad oil can be a strange culprit for problems.

atleast when things do go out it is a better reason to get better parts. like the hrvp44. if you were planning on replacing later.:Thumbup:

When you are having a bad day just be glad you are not a simese twin stuck to your gay brother and have only one a$$hole.:roflmao:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problems with my truck it died on me 5 different times all well driving. Twice while off road and three times under 35 mph.All in a 2 month period. Then it stopped for 6 months (pushed snow through 3 storms) the only problem I had was under heavy fueling it would run like crap, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. My fuel pressure gauge would stay at 15 psi (FASS) I change every filter, line and retaped my fuel wire. I would also get the 1693 code I was told that it means that something is wrong. Not a very specific code. Then at 85 mph my vp44 finally crapped out. Replaced with a hrvp44 from INDUSTRIAL INJECTION (great guys will answer any question you have) It is not that bad of a job to do. That was my first time so it took a little long then it should have. If you've never changed a vp44 ask them about the pump puller this will save you from prying on the cover. They are all heaps when they don't run right. :blah: :blah: :blah:

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
skinz0021 said:
i know from 2 guys that hadn't changed oil like they should that bad oil can be a strange culprit for problems.

atleast when things do go out it is a better reason to get better parts. like the hrvp44. if you were planning on replacing later.:Thumbup:

When you are having a bad day just be glad you are not a simese twin stuck to your gay brother and have only one a$$hole.:roflmao:
Yeah thats a good one to remember, I'd never heard that before. I just changed my oil, so we'll see if that helps at all. I'm going to go get a proper scan tool thrown on it tomorrow and see if anything comes up from that. I'll get it figured out, and if I really need a VP, thats what Credit cards are for, right?!.
Sean

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
i wish i had a cc but im glad i paid them off! wouldnt take long to fill up a
$10k limit with what i would like to do to the truck.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
eatnumber2 said:
I had the same problems with my truck it died on me 5 different times all well driving. Twice while off road and three times under 35 mph.All in a 2 month period. Then it stopped for 6 months (pushed snow through 3 storms) the only problem I had was under heavy fueling it would run like crap, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. My fuel pressure gauge would stay at 15 psi (FASS) I change every filter, line and retaped my fuel wire. I would also get the 1693 code I was told that it means that something is wrong. Not a very specific code. Then at 85 mph my vp44 finally crapped out. Replaced with a hrvp44 from INDUSTRIAL INJECTION (great guys will answer any question you have) It is not that bad of a job to do. That was my first time so it took a little long then it should have. If you've never changed a vp44 ask them about the pump puller this will save you from prying on the cover. They are all heaps when they don't run right. :blah: :blah: :blah:

So being your first time replacing ANY injection pump..........
It wasn't to bad I take it?

·
191 Posts
Well thats the same thing my truck was doing. It was also throwing all kinds of codes. I finally decided to get a pump. And as soon as we fired it up i could tell a difference. Glad the problem is solved. After reseting the codes it has yet to throw any of the ones it was before i put the pump on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Phily 911 said:
So being your first time replacing ANY injection pump..........
It wasn't to bad I take it?
This was my first time replacing any injection pump. It wasn't bad at all. I heard stories of the key way falling into the front cover, but after talking to one of the guys from Industrial Injection he said the key way is almosted pressed into the shaft ( it CAN fall out but it is in good and snugg).

Just remember:

1 The $75.00 breather on the front cover needs to be turned to unlock it

2 There is a bracket under the vp44

3 You can put the pump in without completely removing the injector lines

4 Make sure the key way is facing 12 o'clock

5 Make sure you get a pump pulling tool ($30.00) and don't pry on the cover to remove the pump

I am not saying I'm an expert. It sounds worst then it really is, if you have turned wrenches before it shouldn't be a problem.

SORRY-- I didn't mean to change the topic--

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sean, before you buy a new VP, check your crank position sensor and the wire running to it. One of my friends had a similiar problem on his 2000. But if you aren't losing your tach signal this probably is not the problem. You could always gain a little timing with an HO VP just in case your interested.

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually did lose my tach signal, at the very beginning, when all of this started happening. I'm wondering now, if it could've just been dirty oil. I changed the oil on monday, and it hasn't happened since.

I did let the oil run a little longer than usual because I had a couple of long days in there with out a lot of starting(which to my knowledge is the hard part). I mean in one week I ran the truck 2800miles.
Its not like I doubled the life of the oil though, I changed it at 6500 Vs. 5000.
If it happens again though, I'll try the Crank Postion Sensor. Thats what a couple of guys over at TDR suggested.

As far as the H.O. pump, that may be worth a shot, but I thought that they flowed less fuel.
Sean

·
Registered
55 Posts
The p1693 code in DTC Dected in Companion module, which means you have a fault in the other module. On that truick you have an ECM for the engine and a PCM for the trans and they both talk to eachother and share fault codes. Make sure you check the other module for the fault code. But sounds like to me that you have a vp going on you, that is the most common thing that happens to the truck that come into my shop with the same problems. The codes you want to watch out for are P1688, P1691, P0181, and P0216. If you need a good pump with good power look at a Schied vp44, I know for a fact that they make tons of power from those pumps and we are going to put one on our drag truck soon. Also if you have any of those other codes your pump is pretty much done.

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much does that shcied pump run. I was looking at the industrial injection pump for 1750. any suggestions on where to get a pump would be great.

Oh yeah, the truck stalled out on me again today, so tomorrow I'm going to go get a crank position sensor and give that a try.

Sean

·
Registered
973 Posts
sstockton said:
How much does that shcied pump run. I was looking at the industrial injection pump for 1750. any suggestions on where to get a pump would be great.

Oh yeah, the truck stalled out on me again today, so tomorrow I'm going to go get a crank position sensor and give that a try.

Sean
Remember to check the wire that runs to the CPS, the truck we replaced the crank position sensor on would start afterward. It had just had the VP and lift pump installed under warranty, and it turned out to be a bad section in the wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Food for though- Industrial Injection works close with bosch and they are running the newest electronics out. This is just some info I found when I was looking in to buying the hrvp44 (Industrial) or the lighting pump(schied). I'm not bad mouthing anyone this is just some info I came across. This is just what someone had told me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice thing about Industrial is that if you burn up a Hot Rod pump, by using a Blue Chip Redline or Edge Comp/Drag Comp, or whatever, instead of charging you a whole new pump they will take your pump and just replace the electronics if need be and you'll be good to go for less than half the price. Can't beat the customer service, either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts