The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil on my truck today and instead of pulling the drain plug for the oil pan, i pulled the one for my trans. I knew something wasn't right before I took it out cause of the different size drain plug and all of that but it didn't register until after i'd dropped most of it. It was dark and blah blah blah but we all make mistakes atleast that me justifying my stupidity. Anyways, i'm going to the stealer tomorrow to get some more fluid. But in the owners manual doesn't say how much I need. Also i've heard that with the trans they heat 'em up to drain all the fluid. This true? I'll prolly just fill it up till is shows full then take it to the dealer to get flushed. $250 <"Thanks for supporting your local dealer."

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
just draining the pan you will need 7-8 qts of SP. i have heard that ford says you can run the LV now instead and or mix it with SP.

·
1,415 Posts
SP is no longer, you can only get LV and yes you can mix it. I would pick up 10 to be on the safe side if you got to drive any distance to get it.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool deal. I didn't know they stop making SP. I went to advance auto and asked if they had some and the guy looked at me like a I just like the window of a bus. Now I know why. I'm going to the deal tomorrow to pick up some and will grab 10 on the safe side. Never know when you gotta top up. Also getting a new filter (external) never changed one on this truck how hard is it? Too much work and too little time. Thanks for the replys. Not real inclined on these torqshifts.

·
1,415 Posts
You need a specal line tool to remove the lines from the filter. see my post about tranny lines.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Will look in to it if I can find it. Not real savy on this.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
A pan drain takes 7.5 qrts.

·
1,415 Posts
Its cheaper then replacing your rad and the external tranny cooler if you blow your tranny up.

·
3,533 Posts
If you want to know how much to put in have a jug that has quantity marks on it and measure the old stuff. Works for me!

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
SP is no longer, you can only get LV and yes you can mix it. I would pick up 10 to be on the safe side if you got to drive any distance to get it.
i just bought a case yesterday.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update everyone. I got 10 quartz from the dealer and put 8 in. Truck is running fine. Didn't replace the trans filter but the truck doesn't have that many miles on it.

·
1,415 Posts
thanks for the update go to here you got it going

1 - 14 of 14 Posts