• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please enter a reason for why you vote...otherwise it is useless to me.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In my opinion:

Dodge = Cummins...best motor, cheapest price for the package...solid truck overall

Chevy = Duramax...decent motor, has its issues but over all good. IFS front end is costly in the longrun. Same quality as the Dodge with a higher pricetag.

GMC = Same motor and drivetrain as the Chevy, better quality and more luxury.

Ford = Solid motor, solid axle up front. Decent quality and a bit more luxury than the Dodge.

Thanks in Advance.

Tyler

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
We're not really comparing apples to apples but on the models you are looking at....

I would go with one of the pre-DPF trucks. I would lean toward a GM since we all know the 6.0 issues.

Quality? Those model GM are much more comfortable to me than a Dodge. The interior quality is a bit better also unless you are buying newer than '08. I can only say since I drove all three last year and went with GM. The Ford was the most comfortable.

If you are a Cummins guy there isn't much to decide on here.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
You already gave yourself the answer i had for you Dodge is cheap now and upgrades are to. When the 6.7l Cummins came out you couldnt buy aftermarket TBE for under $600 now i see them for around $250-300. But what you should do is go drive one of each of these you are asking bout...if you want a cadilliac buy the Chevy. If you want overall longevity of the body and motor buy a Ford. If you want quick, cheap, very realiable power buy the new version of the old realiable 5.9 Cummins and get the 6.7. Im not tooting my horn or anything thing but thatys what i have and have had ZERO mechanical problems and as a matter of fact no problems a little manitance didnt take care of. Everyone has their personal preference and mine just happens to be a Cummins

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoulda traded you Soot...lol

·
Hadley Coal Roller
819 Posts
id go with an 06-07 gmc sierra. great trucks in my eyes.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
I would go for the 06-07 Gm, great trucks

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Out of those, give me the 06-07 Chevy/GMC 2500.

·
361 Posts
id say the ford super duty. if your gonna keep the truck for a while the overall ford truck will hold up. the 6.0 is a good motor but the cummins beats it in reliability and the dmax beats it in power. its really just a matter of opinion. good luck.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
We're not really comparing apples to apples but on the models you are looking at....

I would go with one of the pre-DPF trucks. I would lean toward a GM since we all know the 6.0 issues.

Quality? Those model GM are much more comfortable to me than a Dodge. The interior quality is a bit better also unless you are buying newer than '08. I can only say since I drove all three last year and went with GM. The Ford was the most comfortable.

If you are a Cummins guy there isn't much to decide on here.
:whs

I have a 6.7L Cummins and love it. I will ask what the intended purpose of the truck is. That would play a big part in my eyes. I tow a lot and think its hard to beat a Cummins. I would also lean toward a pre-DPF truck if your state is an Emissions testing state. That being said if you go of a DPF equipped truck stock it is not going to get the mileage of the pre-DPF. The 6.7 also have a very stout auto trans with the 68RFE. I guess it comes down to which one you want to make the payment on and that fits your needs best. So like said go drive all of them and see what you decide. Just remember they all have the high and low points.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Ford isn't government owned

:salute Enough said
:damnit No.... he wouldnt want to buy the truck he likes best or anything... or that best fits his needs....... that would be fooling.....

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is mainly going to be a daily driver, with mild towing a couple times a year. I plan on building another 4x4 trail rig in the next couple years so I will need a tow rig for that. I register my vehicles in Alaska so that I don't have to worry about emissions, whatever I get will be DPF deleted or straightpiped...

·
864 Posts
Like most are saying, Cummins is great reliable motor that cost less for upgrades and parts, but Dodge cabin room is less than other trucks. dmax has powerful motor and easy upgrades though the New trans wont allow for upgrades till its rebuilt, and Ford has come along way in the powerstroke. The truck itself will outlast all the rest with quality parts, and the motor after couple mods like head studs, and egr delete and you will have stout motor. Also Ford like said above is Not Government owned so thats huge plus. Its all in what you like. My choice would be the Ford and if the motor ever goes drop the Cummins in it and youll have it all.

·
323 Posts
It really does depend on the intended use of the truck. My buddy just got an 06 F-350 and with the upgraded suspension over my 04., I really want one.

I do like chevy/gmc but they need a SFA if they are going to work

I love my dodge but I believe you were looking at 6.7 which incorporates a DPF and a bunck of other EPA crap that ruin these trucks. The front ends are also notorious for failure.
My $0.02
DD

Reactions: merlin5577

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
It really does depend on the intended use of the truck. My buddy just got an 06 F-350 and with the upgraded suspension over my 04., I really want one.

I do like chevy/gmc but they need a SFA if they are going to work

I love my dodge but I believe you were looking at 6.7 which incorporates a DPF and a bunck of other EPA crap that ruin these trucks. The front ends are also notorious for failure.
My $0.02
DD
What is notorious for failure in the front end? I have never heard of a front end failing. The 6.7 when it first came out had some problems but like anything new its going to have problems but Dodge has fixed it. Unlike Ford the came out wit a 6.4 now going to a 6.7 WTF i will agree fords have tough trannys(auto) but i didnt but my 6.7 for comfort i bought for power and thats what i got.

·
323 Posts
What is notorious for failure in the front end? I have never heard of a front end failing. The 6.7 when it first came out had some problems but like anything new its going to have problems but Dodge has fixed it. Unlike Ford the came out wit a 6.4 now going to a 6.7 WTF i will agree fords have tough trannys(auto) but i didnt but my 6.7 for comfort i bought for power and thats what i got.

I am not trying to start a pissing match over brands here. I just stated what I have seen.
To be truely honest I do not know enough about the new 6.7l and the suspension geometry behind it. I do know that the front ends on all Dodges 1994-2004 at least are very susceptible to failure of tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. I understand these are wear items but they were a faulty designed and replacement is almost a yearly thing.
I am not saying all brands do not have their downfalls.
I just really do not like any of the new DPF crap the big three throw at us because of the EPA. Here is an idea.. We all use bio diesel and poof no more harmfull emmisions to wory about that....but what about the oil companys...haha

One of my next steps is to delete my EGR system and run bio on all our trucks.

I think we all need to know what he plans on doing with it for a better answer.

Rant: off
DD

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
He stated above what his plans are to be wit it. Any axle/front end that has that much weight on it(Diesel Motor)is going to have weak points. You cant expect tie rod ends and ball joints to last forever especially if you use the truck for what it is meant to be used for. You do have your right for an opinion on the 6.7 as does anyone else for that matter but i bought mine not knowing wtf a DPF was and egr due to this being my first diesel but since i bought it i have did alot of reasearch on the new design on the 6.7 and it will be as great if not better than the 5.9 IMO they have no plans on redesigning as far as i know.:happymugs

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
LBZ duramax...drive one...I did and drove home the same day with it after owning a 02 7.3 lariat.

Ive owned all 3...dodge was the worst of them all. crappy seats, crappy trans, crappy body, crappy dash, but it was a 98 12 valve. theres a reason their the cheapest IMO

ford was the best IMO...but since the 7.3, i havnt heard anything good about their engines.

chevy/gmc seems to have the best all around quality...although the interior isnt as roomy as the ford..it seems to have better electronics in the dash and stuff. pulls like a raped ape too with the 6spd allison and Dmax. rides like a caddy too.:woot:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.