The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm working on my research on diesels. I know enough for maintenance and such like that, done a few things myself with my granddads 88 7.3 Ford, just never owned one myself.

My buddy Trevor has an 06 Duramax and told me if I get a diesel I should get an LBZ or any 5.9 Cummins since I'm also looking at them too, I am a mopar man at heart lol. I'd go for a similar year Ford but the 6.0 is only good if you have the money to make it good. Buddy of mine has an 05 Lariat crew cab long bed and I love that truck, he blew it up and fixed it and it's a tank now! But for me, an 06 Duramax Extended or Crew Cab short bed or a 06-07 Ram Cummins Crew cab or Mega cab short bed would be perfect. What I want to know is if I should lean partial to one or the other? I saw this thread
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92868
and read through it a bit and I'm looking for one like it for the Cummins but since I have a bout a year before I even have the money for one, just trying to do all my research.

Now EITHER way I go, they aren't getting lifted or anything stupid crazy, just some things to improve the look, sound, performance a little, and fuel mileage. What are some suggestions for me?

·
3,533 Posts
If I was buying a new one I would look at the GM and Dodge.
Used I would not buy a 6.7 with enhanced EGR, or a 5.9 with a VP44. The 5.9 with a Bosch 7100 pump is a great engine, the ford 7.3 is a good engine, the tranny is not.
I bought a Duramax!

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Yeah the '05.5-'07 LBZ is a good choice and so is the '03-'06 5.9 common rail. You would have to ask the dodge guys if they have a Reference sheet like us Duramax have made

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way ahead of you, already made a post asking about it on dodgetalk.
Reason I want something close to an 05 is because my current ride is an 05, I'm not to big on making something older a daily. My first car was an 93 Exploder, wasn't all that bad but I had a love hate relationship with it. Again, for sure leaning with an LBZ or a 5.9L cummins. If I had the money I'd get a 6.7 cummins. Little bit of money and those will mow down any 5.9. And if I had even more money, a 6.7 Powerstroke. One of the work trucks is a 2012 F-350 and I LOVE THAT TRUCK! Just wish the boss would let us do stuff to it like at LEAST a leveling kit. Sadly its a 2012 so the emissions BS has to stay on it.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I had both an 05 cummins and now have my 06 duramax and I can personally say that i loved the engine, but you can keep the dodge truck, the chev has been an all around better rig for me, just nicer, better built and that duramax always puts a smile on my face when I step into it and it pulls like a damn freight train

I hated putting money into a crappy transmission and a crappy front end on the dodge, and the truck was only 4 years old and starting to rust

Havn't put a dime into the trans or front end of this chev and they are still going strong at near 200k miles and there is very little rust anywhere on this truck, pretty impressive considering that its now 8 years old

If it was my money, which its not, but I was in your position and I chose wrong with the dodge, at least for me personally, loved that cummins, and the big feel of the dodge, just not the rest of the truck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts