The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of doing the zoodad or installing another air intake that would still reside under the hood sucking hot engine temps through the filter, I decided to take on the challenge a different way......a snorkel. I got the idea from a local off-road shop that specializes in Toyota Land Cruisers and thought maybe I could adapt it to my truck. After some research and some preliminary work I finally got my kit and started this weekend.

The kit I got came from here.......http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/snorkel/ford.html

Now....this mod might not be for everyone, but it interested me because of the performance possibilities of true cold air, cleaner intake air and .......just to do something different. The kit is for a 7.3 and the company never had any intention of trying to retrofit for a 6.0 truck because of all of the challenges involved in making it work.

Anyway.....I had already relocated my batteries mentioned in another thread on this forum an therefore accomplished the task of freeing up the space on the driver's side engine compartment.

Next.....I had to move a few things around under the hood to make room along the inner fender. Can you see the difference?

It really was not that bad to move the PCM and the power steering reservoir. The relay bracket that sits on the fenderwell against the firewall , the PCM bracket and the power steering reservoir bracket all required some minor modification. The main harness for the PCM had to be peeled back slightly to allow movement of cable. To mount everything back up I used existing nutted clips. For the reservoir I drilled one hole in the bracket to make use of a battery box mount. I also needed to extend one hose from the brake booster to the reservoir.

While moving all of this I was surprised to see that the inner fender already had a hole to accept the snorkel flange. I would be interested to know the history behind that!

The kit gives you a template to tape up to the outer fender to guide you on drilling holes and cutting the snorkel entery hole.

Even with the template I found I still needed to trim and fit a few times before I got the desired result. The snorkel has five studs that fit through holes in the fender and a fender washer and nylon lock nut for each. I had to pull the fenderwell iner to get up inside. A bracket bolts to the top of the snorkel and you peel the rubber door trim at the top of the A-piller and drill/rivet the bracket in place. Very solid.....minor trim of the rubber is necessary to fit back in place.

Here is the finished product as it is installed now..........

I mentioned earlier that this is meant for a 7.3 and does have parts/pieces in the kit to modify a factory 7.3 airbox to make it work. I didn't get that far this weekend, but will post up with the rest of the install next weekend if all goes well with the schedule.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I would love to do it...I looked into it once before...but my cut-out flares also interfere with the snorkel...

nice job though man!

I even hoped I could move it a little one way or the other,...did all the measurements a year ago...nope...won't work...CRAP!

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! This would look right at home on your truck Tank.....more than mine. It has you all over it. Maybe it still could work if you did a little surgery on your flares. Kinda blend them together?

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
it would take some MAJOR blending they take about 2" of the same realestate.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally finished this project this past weekend. Lots of fabrication and retrofit to make it all work. Along the way I found more changes I needed to make. The kit came with block-off plates and the male funnel for the 7.3 air box. I riveted those in place.

I had to do a lot of surgery to the air box and battery tray to make it usable. On a test fit I found that the coolant reservoir was in the way. I had to improvise and after some comparison decided to use a tank from a Winstar van. Close to the same capacity and pressure rating is the same. I had to modify it a bit and make a bracket to mount it.

I also had to make new coolant lines running from the tank to the water pump and heater core to fit properly. In the process I decided to do a complete coolant flush, pop the block plug and install my coolant temp sensor.

To assemble the air box and get it properly installed I cut my RFI intake to retain the air meter. I used another 6.0 boot to join to the 7.3 airbox. I think it cae together nicely.
I went from this...............

To a fully functional cold air system drawing air from outside the engine compartment.........

I can say that the truck really seems to enjoy the change. Cool nights especially the truck seems to wake up and runs much more smooth. With the summer coming I am sure it is going to make a difference.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Damn that looks sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Reactions: boobin

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
WOW that is awesome :happymugs

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! This was a challenging mod that I believe will net some good gains. Especially in the summer when the under hood temp and outside temp can differ by 40 degrees or more. I still need to do some cleanup, but it works nicely.

There is still a kit with your name on it Tank!

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I wish...but my fender flares are in the way...and that would take way more fabrication/massaging than i want to tackle.

·
52 Posts
WOW very impressive boobin. you should make up a kit put it on e-bay and make some $$$$$$.more money more mods.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! I couldn't have done it without you donating your 7.3 air box for the project. Works for me, but I am not sure that too many people would be interested in doing this to their truck.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, but really.....if I can do it I am sure most anyone could.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts