The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning I was taking my wife to work and then going to help my father in law get caught up on is mowing. Well I passed a Indaina State Trooper on East bound I-64 doing 60mph in a 55 zone. He was sitting in the U-turn area and he ended up pulling me over and giving me a hard way to go because of my load I was pulling. :wedgie

All I had behind the truck was my 16' trailer with my grasshopper and my two trimmers in the rack, with my backpack blower in the bed and a few fuel cans. He proceeds to give me a hard way to go because he thinks I'm making money with my setup and says I need DOT#'s to be legal.

My question is does anyone know what the law is these days in Indaina? I thought is was 53' or 5 axles? Am I going to have to put "Not For Hire" signs on my trailer now just to keep the Troopers away?

The whole thing has kind of pissed me off in a big way since you see plenty of Nobbers in Floyd county driving around with a lot more equipment behind a truck than me and I don't see one DOT # on those trucks. :bang

DB

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Problem is, MOST of the highway patrol in IN doesnt know the laws...id call the highway patrol liscence and weights and ask whats going on. Goodluck, let us know what you find.

·
272 Posts
If you do use your equipment for a business , then yes you need to fly the numbers, but an easy way around it is get farm tags.

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do use your equipment for a business , then yes you need to fly the numbers, but an easy way around it is get farm tags.
That's what burns me up the most, I don't use it to make money and I see all these others that do. :thumbdown I just own the equipment for my own personal use, mowing about 4 acres of yard is enough for me already I don't want any more than that on a weekly bases.

DB

·
2,063 Posts
Without getting long winded, yes you have a problem if the Highway Patrol want to make a issue out of it. You would have to prove you do not make money by operating your vehicle. That is hard to do because of the volume of grass mower (lawn care) that do cash business only. And the parts runner for a business is suppose to have a Class C CDL, because they are paid to drive that vehicle even if it is a S10. So slap a big sticker on the side of a truck and they can ticket it, for a CDL. Oh one other thing throw a little paint in the back and you will need a Hazmat endorcement.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
i think DOT#s are free. you just have to register.

·
69 Posts
yes the numbers are free,but when you recieve one then you will be contacted by the state dot to go through a new entrant safety audit. this happens whether you are private or for hire, it does not matter. you will have to meet all dot reg's, including recordkeeping,maintenance schedules, random drug testing. applying for a dot number involves a lot more headaches than it used to. its not just getting a number & putting it on the side of the truck.

·
137 Posts
I think the trooper was just being an A hole. We have a lawn care business in montana. We have over 20 trucks....from mini pickups and 1.5 ton isuzu NPR's to big bucket trucks. There are only 2 trucks in our fleet that require a DOT number, both being over 26,000 GVW. All the other trucks just require a business name on them. I am the only commerical driver there, none of the other 15 or so employee's are required to have a CDL.

I asked the DOT guy when he came to do my annual inspections on the 2 big trucks a couple years ago if the rest of our fleet was ok. He said as long as nothing has over 1000 gallon capacity in a single tank, carries 120 gallons of fuel in a bulk tank, transports hazardous materials, or is in excess of 26,000 lbs GVW that the business name on the door was all we needed.

He then handed me a book called Federal Motor Carrier Safty Regulations published by J.J. Keller & associates. This book has pretty much every thing you ever want to know about commerical vehicles. If I were you I'd get in touch with the DOT to get the right answers.

·
2,126 Posts
I always tell those Staters to F* O*

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
yes the numbers are free,but when you recieve one then you will be contacted by the state dot to go through a new entrant safety audit. this happens whether you are private or for hire, it does not matter. you will have to meet all dot reg's, including recordkeeping,maintenance schedules, random drug testing. applying for a dot number involves a lot more headaches than it used to. its not just getting a number & putting it on the side of the truck.
That's the truth! When I got our DOT #'s I thought, buy that was easy! Wrong! In the end it was not so bad, good feeling knowing you can't get hassled now.

·
272 Posts
Just get farm plates for trailer and truck problem solved.

·
1,060 Posts
The trooper was just looking for P.C. to pull you over, hoping that you did not have somthing registered or insured or your lic. was exp. or you have a beer in the cup holder. Once they have an excuse to pull you over they can, and they will, to look for most things such as warrents, stolen, ect... that is the main reson that cops will pull you over for stupid ****, like out tail lights, blocked lic. plates by trailer ball in bumper, out lic. plate light, NO DOT # when you are not comercial, stuff like that... and just let you go with no ticket... is to look for the big time stuff. If they did not pull you over for the little things they would never find the big things.

·
27 Posts
Don't believe it. Once you sign up they'll be in your pocket one way or another. That free part is like the drug dealers do it, first they give it to you for free then once you are in you have to pay. and the more money they get the more powerfull they get.

·
236 Posts
Bud, Maybe Class E for the S-10? Log book if over 150 miles from home base? :) Just use an RV to pull your grasshopper! :) FL has actually started burning folks for that. No more RV's pulling race cars and bypassing scales and inspection stations!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts