The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is an 11/02 build date with 175,000 mi and runs great, temps, pressures and volts all within spec. No smoke and smooth idle cold or hot (cold in FL is 50's). Archoil in the fuel and oil for last 2 years and running Mobile 1 @ 5000 mile changes.

I am getting a random contribution fault on #6 cyl. Trying to decide if it is time to swap out all the injectors with Ford remans or just fix this one. It could be as simple as O rings but if these things are prone to give up @150,000 miles I'd just as soon only tear into it once and be done. Any thoughts?

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
For some reason number 5 injector went out in my truck, at 80,000 miles. Ford changed just that one and I have been good since. I don't know why #5 went out, but it is not uncommon.

·
1,324 Posts
In the time I have been on TDG most seem to recommend just fixing the ones known bad. I guess if I had 4-5 bad I'd do them all but just 1 probably fix just the problem child. Do you have the blue spring mod? Low fuel pressure kills them.

Reactions: jsm180

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue spring and 60 psi fuel pressure. I have read where the injectors have been improved with a different coating on the tip and a TSB says not to mix them, not seen the TSB yet.

·
3,051 Posts
Reactions: civicrr and jsm180

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, the injectors arrived yesterday and I sent them back. They were supposed to be Motorcraft remans and they may have been, but they were packed in individual bubble wrap envelopes dripping with oil with no caps or covers on the oil inlet, black plastic cover was on the tip. Nothing in the box or on the injector indicated these were Motorcraft remans. When I called to question them, I was told they were repackaged so they could ship Priority mail. They may have been legit but I didn't have a good feeling about them. On top of all that, they are not an authorized distributor so no 2 year unlimited miles warranty, that was not disclosed till I asked. Too many red flags for me.

Called Tousley/Autonation Ford in Mn and ordered a set for $204 ea, be here tues UPS.

·
3,051 Posts
Thank you for the update JSM. Man that sucks, I hope the refund process goes well. Motorcraft remans are the way to go, and Tousley has a good reputation.

Harry

Reactions: jsm180

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Harry, live and learn. They told me over the phone they would refund all but shipping, which is fine with me. They were in mail insured within hours of receiving them and if they give me any trouble I'll let Visa deal with it. I would be willing to bet they sent me Alliant remans but I have no way to prove it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts