The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
southern-stroke
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so my truck is leaking diesel into the radiator and out the overflow. Someone told me it has an o-ring blew. how hard and how much should this cost to do? i had the parts quoted at $250 but for labor they wanted $1200. They said labor was so high because they would have to pull the head. Is this true or are they bs'ing me? Also, the truck has began to smoke white when you get on it really hard; i'm thinking it's injectors as the stocks one have close to 200,000 on them. Any other thought?

·
281 Posts
I don't think you should have to pull the heads to do injector cups or injector o-rings though.

·
91 Posts
You don't need to pull the heads to do the cups. The only area you are going to get fuel in the cooling system is the injector cups, an oil cooler will only put oil in the cooling system. Even bad o-rings on the injectors won't cause your problem. If you have had any injector work done in the last few months I would start by checking those injectors first. You will need the tap and puller to remove the cups and a installation tool to install them. You need to check which cups are leaking, or have them checked. The only time I replace all of them is when the heads are being overhauled. Other than that all you can do is pull the injectors and pressure test the cooling system. You will see the coolant coming out from the cups without too much pressure in the cooling system, 10 psi or so. If your going to do it make sure you torque the shoulder bolts as well as the other bolts on the injector when you go back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts