The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull off the injector pump because it has a really bad leak where the little plate is on the side. What all do i need to know to pull it off? There is timing so how do i know where to line that back up to? And i had a guy tell me to just pull the lines off with the injector and that's easier than trying to get a wrench in to take all the lines off the pump... is that right? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Pull the three bolts from the gear on the IP shaft, remove all the lines with the IP and make SURE you mark with a chisel the EXACT alignment of the IP housing to the gear cover.

Oh, NEVER EVER remove the gear cover with the IP!

·
93 Posts
Pull the three bolts from the gear on the IP shaft, remove all the lines with the IP and make SURE you mark with a chisel the EXACT alignment of the IP housing to the gear cover.

Oh, NEVER EVER remove the gear cover with the IP!
The gear cover is the only thing that keeps the ip drive gear meshed with the cam gear. It will feel loose in the housing, but cannot jump a tooth. If you pull the housing off and the gear comes out of mesh with the cam gear you will be required to pull the front cover of the engine because it is the only way to view the timing mark for installation.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
One *can* get the IP gear in time w/o pulling the front cover, if you are both skilled and exceptionally lucky.

·
93 Posts
Is there another way to line up the timing marks. I have rebuilt only two of these engines so my experience is limited. When I did the second engine, I got ahead of myself and installed the front cover before I installed the IP gear and cover. I tried everything that I could think of, including an inspection miror to view the position of the timing mark. I ended up taking the front cover back off. The engine was on a stand, so not such a big deal. I think with the engine in the truck, it would take a skill that I do not posses. And usually, I am not that lucky.
Question: If the gear was off by ony one tooth, do you think that dynamic timing would have enough adjustment to bring the IP into time?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts