The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to install an injector pump?

The guy at the dealership also has a shop at his house and he says that he will do it for $300.

Any suggestions?

·
3,514 Posts
I haven't had to do one, but I've heard it really isn't that bad. Maybe takes a couple hours. You just need a gear puller, however Akapparos has one that he will lend out I believe.
Sean

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
sstockton said:
I haven't had to do one, but I've heard it really isn't that bad. Maybe takes a couple hours. You just need a gear puller, however Akapparos has one that he will lend out I believe.
Sean

Nope.. you dont need one..

un bolt the intake horn... un-do all 6 injector lines... un do the connector.... and there 4 bolts... I think there 15mm's its either 13,14,or 15mm's.. and you will need a 10" extention.. ( no special sockets needed) the ones under the intake horn are a biotch to get at but thats wher that exention comes in handy.. It took me about 45mins to pull it..

NOW when you get it out.. CLOCK IT to where the keyway goes on the pump gear.. and gorilla snot the the keyway in the slot.. you dont want to loose it cuz if you do... your pulling the oil pan looking for the key way that you dropped in the motor!

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
black cloud, not questioning your integrity, but are your instructions for a vp44 or a p7100?

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
VP..... i did one 2 weeks ago on a 99..... along with a LP

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I though I needed a puller... but the boss man said Nope.. so I didnt use one.. it runs.. hasnt been back yet... I must have done somethig right..

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
I see. yeah i never pulled a vp, though found leaks on a line on my buddies... and did a buncha other crap on his 24v motor before i even had my p pumped 12v. funny how that goes- LOL

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
there a helluva lot easier to pull out then a p pump Ill tell you that.. that P pump weighs about 65lbs compaired to a 5-10lb Vp pump..

Its really not that bad pulling a VP... Now getting them to start on the other hand thats a BIOTCH..!!

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long directions but, it doesn't look like it will be that bad.

As always you guys have helped out way more than you have to.:Thumbup:

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
98 Posts
its not that bad to do. took me a few hours total time, but bsing with a buddy and a few beers made it take longer. mopar1973mans directions are spot on and very helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
cjs said:
mopar1973mans directions are spot on and very helpful.
That's because they came from the Dodge FSM (Factory service Manual)...LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok look get a 1 1/6 that will take the nut off the pump remove the nut and washer and nut do not drop and frome there u got the hard part dunn k so ull see what u got to do next and u onley got to take off 1-5 injustor lines 6 is a ***** it will role up out the way etc and then revers the prcess i dont realy mean to be a *** but u own the best desiel out there k so u need to learn how to work on it like so get ur panzey *** out there and knock it out its easey once u start and crack 1 3 4 turn it over etc thy ant that hard to start after words k so get r dunn :mafia :mafia :mafia :smoke :smoke :RTFM: :RTFM: :RTFM: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks....

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had to switch one yet, none of my friends have had to replace theirs and none of them want to go to a HR until they have to switch anyways, so I thought it would require a gear puller.
Sean

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I paid $600 for the one I have, its not a hr, but it is rebuilt and never been used. So I figured that I will put the new one on and sell the one that I have on the truck now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts