The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken one apart? I wanna take one apart, and see about machining it to make it be a larger cc. Everyone says stock is around 135cc. Like figure out and make it like 190cc or 200cc. Because my buddy does machining and has a machine that cab do .0001 and up. So i figured i would try on some old injectors to machine the pintle holes. What all gets machined when they do that, does the intensifier piston get machined also? Like faced or something. I would not think the spool valve or solenoids would get touched. I was wondering also if the fuel inlets or channels which ever you call them, get machine or ported?

Its been in my head for awhile, and i am gonna make my own regulated return so i figured why not try it.

Any pms or advice would be appreciated. From anyone or venders and i know vender's probably don't wanna let the secrets out and i understand but any tips or advice is awesome thanks in advance

·
645 Posts
ive pulled one half way appart. this was a bad one that was letting compression gasses back into the injector, wanted to see what was going on in there. but i couldnt pull the piston out of there, dont know if it was becuase of the malfunction, probly because im sure it got scored. but i have seen one appart when i went to school for the 6.0.
im sure its new plungers barrels and pistons that all change sizes.

·
201 Posts
Now you wonder why injectors cost what they do. I have had one apart and I too am thinking I will build my next set. Just look at the basics of it because NO injector builder is going to give the secrets away. Find the volume first then do the math to get your cut lengths.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i know what you mean about injector builders and that is what i was thinking of doing. I understand they would not wanna give it away. I just figured i would ask. Is there a special tooling to get them apart? Well i thank you both and anyone else who wants to give advice or warning please do... thanks

Darren

·
3,306 Posts
The Blue Beast said:
Yeah i know what you mean about injector builders and that is what i was thinking of doing. I understand they would not wanna give it away. I just figured i would ask. Is there a special tooling to get them apart? Well i thank you both and anyone else who wants to give advice or warning please do... thanks

Darren
That would be great if a guy could build his own 6L injector, but without a flow-bench to check and see if each injector is matched to one another, i don't think i would even try it myself. When i get another set of injectors i would like to get them from an injector builder who has a flow-bench and has tested the injectors so that they match. But i'm not sure which injector builders have a flow bench to match or test the flow of fuel through the injectors for the 6L.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
strokin6L said:
That would be great if a guy could build his own 6L injector, but without a flow-bench to check and see if each injector is matched to one another, i don't think i would even try it myself. When i get another set of injectors i would like to get them from an injector builder who has a flow-bench and has tested the injectors so that they match. But i'm not sure which injector builders have a flow bench to match or test the flow of fuel through the injectors for the 6L.
There are a couple that have a flow bench available. I know casserly and elite both do...

As far as taking one apart I wish I knew, then I would have something to do in my machine shop class at night...LOL

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
strokin6L said:
good post.. yes there is more to it that simply edm'ing the nozzle holes..
i've heard the 135mm number thrown around too, but i spoke w/josh (injector builder) and i believe he told me the stockers are more like 100's in actuality.
and yes there are mods to the actual inside of the injector also to increase its volume, and i'm not positive but i believe something is done to the spool valve area dont quote me..
and josh DOES have a flow bench now and i know that his injectors make TONS of power. i do believe that casserly now has access to a flow bench also so look for his injectors to start being very closely matched now also.
i'm currently running cass's sticks but have some bad boys from josh on order as we speak.

·
201 Posts
All the components that I believe that need to be machined are hard. The rockwell is in the 50 range. I would think it needs to be ground with a surface grinder but I could be wrong. In theory I would think if the nozzles were acurate and the maching of the internals was really close than the pulse width would dictate how acurate they are per cycle. I think the flow bench is to test the poppett and make sure the nozle is not dribbling or leaky, another reason is to accuratly size the nozzles so that with the desired pulse width we can achieve an almost complete dump of the plunger without bottoming it.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
yes i do believe most of the flow bench work is actually to make sure that the nozzles will all flow evenly as a matched set, since the other machining has to do w/increasing the actual volume of the injector, not the flow going out of it right ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the way i look at it the internal machining is you put more fuel to get to the nozzle, but the oil is what makes the pressure or no??

I mean how i looked at it. Is in theory, you want more oil and fuel. So you would want the spool valve to stay open a little longer which is tuning the pulse width. I think if you were going really big, you would have to machine the lands on the spool valve to dump more oil. I think if you face or cup the bottom of the intensifier piston, you would have more fuel and even port where the fuel comes in. Then do the nozzles too. The thing with the nozzles is i have read that they are cone shaped, and that might be hard to match and get bigger with out using edm. unless you would do away with it and angle them some? i mean it will be a figure a million times and try it once kind of deal. I agree with all the posts and you would have to figure out volume per cycle. I thought it would be a interesting thing to try. With the flow bench i know you would check spray pattern and strength, also if it is leaking.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
which is exactly why i'll just let josh build all my injectors

BY THE WAY JOSH ! ! ! i have that c/c number for you, will YOU PLEASE ship my stuff i have a dyno appt on saturday march 8 th ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
LvTitan said:
which is exactly why i'll just let josh build all my injectors

BY THE WAY JOSH ! ! ! i have that c/c number for you, will YOU PLEASE ship my stuff i have a dyno appt on saturday march 8 th ! ! ! ! !
haha, Danny call me tomorrow. And I will get the ped and adapter headed to you.

·
775 Posts
Check you old Diesel mags(couple of month back). They had an artical on a company that will send you all the parts and inst on how to do it your self. What to look for as far as a good injector or a junky one. He would tell you anything you want to know. I throw away my olds mags so I cant tell you which one it was but it was eather DIESEL WORLD or DIESEL POWER. If you machine them to close tolerances and assemble them to tight spec's, all you would have to worry about would be the nosles I would think.

·
645 Posts
i know diy-injectors.com has that kit to do your own but i dont know if anyone is doing that stuff for 6.0s?

·
3,306 Posts
fordboyyfm said:
i know diy-injectors.com has that kit to do your own but i dont know if anyone is doing that stuff for 6.0s?
That's correct, i remember seeing the article for this and it was for the 7.3 injectors not the 6.0 injectors.

·
775 Posts
strokin6L said:
That's correct, i remember seeing the article for this and it was for the 7.3 injectors not the 6.0 injectors.
Heck. Give them a call. Does't the 7.3 work on the same principal as the 6.0?:popcorn:

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
BogginF350 said:
haha, Danny call me tomorrow. And I will get the ped and adapter headed to you.
hey josh thanks for the phone call bro , you da man !!

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
heavyhaller said:
Check you old Diesel mags(couple of month back). They had an artical on a company that will send you all the parts and inst on how to do it your self. What to look for as far as a good injector or a junky one. He would tell you anything you want to know. I throw away my olds mags so I cant tell you which one it was but it was eather DIESEL WORLD or DIESEL POWER. If you machine them to close tolerances and assemble them to tight spec's, all you would have to worry about would be the nosles I would think.
yeah i remember that article, but i'm pretty sure that is was for the injectors on a 7.3 if i'm not mistaken, i know they're all HEUI style, but i don't believe they are the exact same, the mods might be similar though.

·
299 Posts
The 7.3l and 6.0l injectors are similar but have there differences both computer controlled hrdraulic operated, 7.3 uses an Injector Drriver Module. Thi energizes the injector based on comandes from the main computer. The 6.0 injectors are controlled by the Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) which does calculations for pulse width. Also the 7.3 uses one solenoid and a spring to close the injector, the 6 liter uses 2 solenoids in the injector. Being that the 6.0 has the 2 solenoid set up physically the injector is smaller and needs less power to actuate it. (this is why they are quiter).

hope this helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts