The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought something was wrong with my truck, so I put it on the computer and sure enough there was something wrong. #8 cylinder failed the cylinder contribution test. What would cause this and how can I check it out. All electrical connections look good and are connected. Could it be an injector and how can I test it for sure without taking it completly out or if it's electrical how can I check that.

When I was putting this truck back togehter I sent all 8 injectors out to E Lite and had them checked out they claimed nothing was wrong and they where all together right.

Thanks allot Andy

·
Registered
596 Posts
If they injectors were tested both mechanically, electrically and hydraulicly and are known good you have an electrical problem. Might want to check the harness more closely. If it's only affecting one cylinder it's probably not a HPO problem or fuel deliver problem.

·
2,509 Posts
will your computer do a buzz test where it pops the injectors off with out it running. you might also try unplugging the injectors while its running and make sure it is that cylinder missing. then you might swap #8 and #7 injectors and see if the miss moves.

I had an issue with my truck where after the engine warmed up it would start missing. the injectors all showed up good on a test bench, I assume because it didn't make them hot enugh to cause it to mess up.

·
1,921 Posts
If it is electrical it should show up on the buzz test. I'm assumeing you did that one when you had the canner on there? I always like to run the cyl. cont. test with the truck in gear with the e-brake set. This puts some extra load on the engine and will make a marginol injector show up easier. I also run the test at least 3 times to see if the same cylenders come up each time. I've seen some come and go.

It could be a scored P&B or something like that from debris that was introduced to the injector after it was apart. Or could be worn popit valves or a number of things. Only way to be 100% sure exactly what it is, is to take the injector out and inspect or replace it. If you pull the injector swap it with 2,4, or 6 and see if the miss follows the injector. You'd have to pull the other valve cover to swap it with 7. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks allot guys. Just to make sure number 8 is on the driverside farback right. as if you where sitting in the truck. I have just heard so many different approaches that I want to make sure I check the right one.

thanks allot Andy

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
you can check ther ohms throught the pins on the plug, would be the middle one and the next one back. or the 3rd and 4th from the front. buzz test should also pick this up.
also on the buzz test, listen for any difference in sound.
I had a truck that passed buzzz but failed cyl contribution.
buzz didnt soud right, pulled valve cover and checked harnesses,
then pulled selenoid off of injector (t-15plus) ended up that the poppett screw was loose, this was a rebuilt unit that had 40k on it.
on my 95 I had a dead hole also same situation, tore it apart to find the poppett screw busted.
#8 is driver side rear.

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
gtspowerstroke said:
If you pull the injector swap it with 2,4, or 6 and see if the miss follows the injector. You'd have to pull the other valve cover to swap it with 7. ;)
Ford numbers its cylinders on V8's like this:

chrysler groups odds to one bank and evens to the other bank

so you would want to swap it 5 or 6 or 7....on that note i like to move the suspect injector at least 2 away when possible

UNLESS INTERNATIONAL DOES IT LIKE CHRYSLER,,,,wich i suppose is possible

·
2,509 Posts
BigRed97 said:
Ford numbers its cylinders on V8's like this: PASS SIDE 1-2-3-4 (front to back) DRIVER SIDE 5-6-7-8 (front to back)

so you would want to swap it 5 or 6 or 7....on that note i like to move the suspect injector at least 2 away when possible

UNLESS INTERNATIONAL DOES IT LIKE CHRYSLER,,,,witch i suppose is possible
IH dose it like Chrysler, odds on one side evens on the other but I can never remember which one is which. if worst comes to worst unplug one of the valve plugs and see what cylinders the code comes up with.

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
BigRed97 said:
Ford numbers its cylinders on V8's like this: PASS SIDE 1-2-3-4 (front to back) DRIVER SIDE 5-6-7-8 (front to back)

UNLESS INTERNATIONAL DOES IT LIKE CHRYSLER,,,,wich i suppose is possible

WRONG driver side is 2468 and pass side is 1357. it is an IH motor, NOT a Ford motor

F

·
0 Posts
I think swapping it with another would be pretty easy to do and help you rule some things out.

BigRed, I edited your post so nobody would get confused on how the cylinders are numbered :Thumbup:

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
double-s-diesel said:
WRONG driver side is 2468 and pass side is 1357. it is an IH motor, NOT a Ford motor

relax, as i said i wasnt sure if international did it like chrysler or ford......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts