The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the only problem with a ramer is that if the vechile is still under warrnery any program you put in voids it I talking about the 7yr. 200,000 mile on the injectors. GM has given the dealers a thing that will show the last 10 settinys
on the OBD if it shows up and your injectors need replaced or whatever they
do it, about 3600 cost

·
3,939 Posts
Thats been rumored for years....but GM has to prove the tuner was the thing that caused the issue...and thats not the case with injectors. Dirty fuel, poor design and uneven operating voltages are some of the contributing factors to injector failure

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the only problem with a ramer is that if the vechile is still under warrnery any program you put in voids it I talking about the 7yr. 200,000 mile on the injectors. GM has given the dealers a thing that will show the last 10 settinys
on the OBD if it shows up and your injectors need replaced or whatever they
do it, about 3600 cost
And that really only works on the LBZ/LMM because of the CAN-bus ECM, the older trucks arent as easy to trace if a tuner was used:thumbsup

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats been rumored for years....but GM has to prove the tuner was the thing that caused the issue...and thats not the case with injectors. Dirty fuel, poor design and uneven operating voltages are some of the contributing factors to injector failure
okay how do you go about proving that it was the design ,etc that caused it and not the tuner that caused it to fail,
as far as the fuel I have always used a addative when ever I fill up
I talked to the service manger at the dealer and he was telling me it made no difference because of the tuner that would shoot it down I only have 78000 miles on my truck 2004

·
3,939 Posts
okay how do you go about proving that it was the design ,etc that caused it and not the tuner that caused it to fail,
as far as the fuel I have always used a addative when ever I fill up
I talked to the service manger at the dealer and he was telling me it made no difference because of the tuner that would shoot it down I only have 78000 miles on my truck 2004

1) Ever noticed that injector failures happen to trucks that run tuners AND to trucks that have remained stock?
2) Injector failures have happened to trucks that run additives AND to trucks that run #2 straight.
3a) Injector failures happen to trucks with secondary filtration AND to trucks that only run the OEM filter.
3b) Failures happen to guys who change their filters religiously and those that have 30,000 miles on the same filter.
4) Ever noticed that LLYs and LBZs DO NOT have widespread injector issues like LB7s? The injector design was changed in the LLY, and the LBZ uses injectors very close in design to the LLY.
5) Ever noticed that injector failures seem to rise when the weather gets colder?
6) Ever noticed that injector failure rates rise just about the time a person posts that they're having issues with their batteries or some other electrical issue?

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279174
Place member "Oddplanes" has come up with some very interesting theories concerning the voltage that the injectors run on and how "clean" the power is. LB7s use 96volts, LLY 48volts, LBZ 24volts. The rate of failure drops off significantly as the firing voltage lowers in the later designs.

In the end, the only variables that consistantly point at the LB7 injector are the injector's design, its electronics and its supply voltage. If it were anything else, all the Dmax engine variants would have failures, let alone all the VW TDIs, Powerstrokes, and Cummins motors....

I could go on and on...but why? You're convinced that tuners are the only cause for injector failures.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
injectors

1) Ever noticed that injector failures happen to trucks that run tuners AND to trucks that have remained stock?
2) Injector failures have happened to trucks that run additives AND to trucks that run #2 straight.
3a) Injector failures happen to trucks with secondary filtration AND to trucks that only run the OEM filter.
3b) Failures happen to guys who change their filters religiously and those that have 30,000 miles on the same filter.
4) Ever noticed that LLYs and LBZs DO NOT have widespread injector issues unlike LB7s? The injector design was changed in the LLY, and the LBZ uses injectors very close in design to the LLY.
5) Ever noticed that injector failures seem to rise when the weather gets colder?
6) Ever noticed that injector failure rates rise just about the time a person posts that they're having issues with their batteries or some other electrical issue?

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279174
Place member "Oddplanes" has come up with some very interesting theories concerning the voltage that the injectors run on and how "clean" the power is. LB7s use 96volts, LLY 48volts, LBZ 24volts. The rate of failure drops off significantly as the firing voltage lowers in the later designs.

In the end, the only variables that consistantly point at the LB7 injector are the injector's design, its electronics and its supply voltage. If it were anything else, all the Dmax engine variants would have failures, let alone all the VW TDIs, Powerstrokes, and Cummins motors....

I could go on and on...but why? You're convinced that tuners are the only cause for injector failures.
No I am not conviced that tuners are the cause. I was just saying what I was told. I am not to up on these Dmaxs, this is my first one. At about what mileage do they stat giving problems? Or is there a certain point that I might start have problems? The reason I use an addtive is a buddy of mine has 2 cummings and 4 18 wheelers and always uses an addtive never has had an injector problem

·
3,939 Posts
No I am not conviced that tuners are the cause. I was just saying what I was told. I am not to up on these Dmaxs, this is my first one. At about what mileage do they stat giving problems? Or is there a certain point that I might start have problems? The reason I use an addtive is a buddy of mine has 2 cummings and 4 18 wheelers and always uses an addtive never has had an injector problem
There is no "time table" on when injectors can go bad. Some people have had 3 sets in 100,000 miles, some people, like me, have 145,000 miles on the originals. Theres something there that makes some last and others not...

My advice to you is "dont believe everything you hear at a dealership".

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
;) we will make this its own thread.

·
10 Posts
I had to have mine replaced at 128K and I run a tuner all the time on my truck. I use the Hypertech. One day I went out and there was oil under my truck and they oil level was very high. The oil also looked very thin and not very viscous. I checked and I had diesel fuel in my crankcase. Called the dealership that I deal with and they fixed it no problem. They told me that the recall that GM had is for bad O rings on the injectors and also the design does not help. Watch your oil level is the best advice I can give you. I wouldn't have known what to do, but I logged onto TDG and same as you got some real good advice. 133K now and no issues.

·
236 Posts
Actually that is is big misconception,,,, gm just has to prove you modified the vehicle to operate outside of the factory parameters which programmers do. it then falls to the consumer to prove the programmer did not cause the failure. MM is in place to mainly let consumers run non OEM filters and maintenance items w/out the fear of voiding warr. Say if you have a Wix filter and shell oil and your engine blows,,, GM can't say it was the oil and filter that caused it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts