The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those running Innovative SCT. I've got an 05 and have been running the Extreme Street. As the weather has warmed up, the truck has changed its starting characteritics. Cranks over strong, but as the egine fires, it almost seems like slow motion as it catchs. After the truck has been started, any restarts are normal. So is this just the way life is with a high hp tune?

·
31 Posts
I don't know if it's because of the tune, but mine does it too. There have been a few times recently that it acted different than this, cranking for a little longer then firing up strong, like it got a sudden burst of fuel.

What pcm code is your truck?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I too have an 05 and even bone stock it started quicker (less cranking) the colder the engine...and as it has warmed up my morning starts have lengthened....not excessive but a notticible difference...with ats/Innovative tunes (lots of them) for lots of miles with lots of other mods...so I think it is normal and am almost (I said almost) convinced it is more to do with our hpop quick connect fitting and oil temp (boggins thoughts) ..but that is just my shade tree enginering trying real hard to explain why all my other diesels ever(3x 7.3's) cold started quicker in summer as opposed to winter....
j.schalll

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had one of the emission recall flashes so my original YCR4 changed to ZZR2. Mine also starts strong sometimes - no rhime or reason. I've tried to let the glow plugs stay on longer - made a difference several times, but not enough to say it really changed anything. Cranking time has not been affected as it cranks strong, but just catches slow almost like a gaser with the timming advanced. Anyway, after the engine is started in the morning, for the rest of the day, everthing is normal. Running the CI4 plus dino Rotella and change every 3,000 miles. Was thinking of returning to stock just to see what happens, but the darn thing is running so good, I just do not want to break it. But on the good side, I've never had a failed start, it just has the slow roll fire up most of the time. Guess I'm paronoid. Thanks all for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts