The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Mass (Taxachusetts) and had to go for my annual inspection sticker today......and I failed. Not because of the Spartan tunes, but because I don't drive the truck enough? Anyone hear of this? The computer did not recognize enough history and thought the battery had been disconnected recently. It has not been disconnected at all.

·
393 Posts
I live in Mass (Taxachusetts) and had to go for my annual inspection sticker today......and I failed. Not because of the Spartan tunes, but because I don't drive the truck enough? Anyone hear of this? The computer did not recognize enough history and thought the battery had been disconnected recently. It has not been disconnected at all.
What business is it of the government to determine whether you pass or fail depending upon whether or not you've been driving the truck?????????

Did they just look at the odometer or engine hour meter and say: This looks suspicious to me, so you FAIL!

Surely they don't have equipment to connect to the trucks computer, unless it is a dealer doing the inspection and then why would they do this? Was the guy doing the inspection one of the Kennedys?

Give us some more details and cancel my trip to New England.

P.S.
Move to Texas and you won't have this type of government intervention.

·
85 Posts
Come to California its even better:roflol:

·
5,365 Posts
not enough "KEY Starts" i suspect....im betting his inspection is performed using
a connection to the OBDII connector, which verifies that the CEL can be switched on
and off (to prevent some old school disabling of the CEL light).

Theyre probably looking at the total number of key/start cycles since the memory
was cleared....so that owners cant clear the memory/OBDII codes just before they
come in for inspection.

still seems stupid to me, since they probably also wont identify how many key/start
cycles you are minimally required to have in memory.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
not enough "KEY Starts" i suspect....im betting his inspection is performed using
a connection to the OBDII connector, which verifies that the CEL can be switched on
and off (to prevent some old school disabling of the CEL light).

Theyre probably looking at the total number of key/start cycles since the memory
was cleared....so that owners cant clear the memory/OBDII codes just before they
come in for inspection.

still seems stupid to me, since they probably also wont identify how many key/start
cycles you are minimally required to have in memory.
:whs :stupid

Bingo!

Wait a week or so and go to a different station. You should have no trouble then.

·
5,365 Posts
the "restarts since memory cleared" maxes out at 200 or so,
i cant imagine what minimum number your state inspection is looking for.

·
18 Posts
Let me start by saying I am no expert on this.....

Are you sure they are not looking at the "EGR Readiness code" not being set?

I too am in Mass and just reverted to Stock for the inspection. When running Spartan 210 both the catalytic and EGR readiness codes were not set. Once I went back to stock, the EGR showed ready but the catalytic continued to show not ready (caused by no downstream O2 sensor?). Upon looking at the passing inspection report under emissions, it showed EGR passed, and Catalytic unavailable.

If they are looking at the EGR readiness (not pass or fail just not ready) as a criteria for ready to test, would they say to drive it more?

Also, I have been wondering if somone was running Spartan 150 or lower where the EGR is enabled would it show EGR ready. I plan on doing this test after I do the delete again so next year at inspection time I will know.

·
5,365 Posts
the "drive it more" comes from the old days...before O2 Sensors were heated !

·
393 Posts
Rosco:

Maybe you should just set in your driveway and start the engine 200 times. You should pass the inspection but will need to go to the Ford House and get a new starter!

·
34 Posts
You failed most likely due to the code P1000. "Monitor test incomplete". This code is often generated after disconnecting the battery or changing tunes and does not cause a check engine light. You just need to add drive cycles and use your dashdaq to check for this code. I'm no diesel master but I do tune my mustang with the SCT software and have fought this battle often. It just takes time, but it will clear after the ECM has sufficient time to gather data from all monitored sensors. In my case, if you disable the "adaptive learning" scalar in the tune it will clear and keep this code from ever returning.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am working late tonight through Friday, I will post the details over the weekend of what failed and how it is worded on the report. Mass sucks all around! 44 years, I have been here too long.

·
34 Posts
what if you put new batteries in the truck then you fail the inspection?
Yes. When you do that the ECM resets all of it's adaptive learning. You must then complete the required "drive cycles" to give the ECM time to test all sensors and then collect an appropriate amount of data to determine the condition of your vehicle. Until then, the code P1000 will be active.

·
393 Posts
I am working late tonight through Friday, I will post the details over the weekend of what failed and how it is worded on the report. Mass sucks all around! 44 years, I have been here too long.
You need to move to Texas and get one of our famous bumper stickers:

I'm not from TEXAS but I got here as fast as I could!

·
1,415 Posts
Did you put the truck back to stock? I see you said its not bc of the tunes. But with out the filter in there the P1000 code will never go away. You need atleast one regen to clear that code.

Reactions: Rosco

·
5,365 Posts
Yes. When you do that the ECM resets all of it's adaptive learning. You must then complete the required "drive cycles" to give the ECM time to test all sensors and then collect an appropriate amount of data to determine the condition of your vehicle. Until then, the code P1000 will be active.
NO, it doesnt...research KEM (keep alive memory) !

·
34 Posts
NO, it doesnt...research KEM (keep alive memory) !
KAM stores adaptive learning content. I don't know what you're saying "no" to, but you can clear KAM by disconnecting the battery or using some kind of a scan tool (reflashing). And when you do that, you generate the P1000 code.

·
5,365 Posts
swapping a battery, even BOTH of them at the same time, will NOT kill the keep
alive mem. thats why they call it KEEP ALIVE ! If Keep Alive Memory needed that
much current to "KEEP Alive" your batteries would be dead in a week.

the OP did NOT <mention> disconnection or replacement of batteries anyway.

at best his tuner is blocking or continually resetting the OBDII "cleared since restarts"
param. that his tune is "generating".

if your state uses the OBDII port as part of their inspection process theyre only
looking for 1) any present codes and 2) verification/manual activation of the CEL
the only other then they could be looking for is "starts since reset"...and driving
around (continuously) wouldnt change that number.

no state that i am aware of takes the time <or the software skills> to verify
EGR (valve) operation....theyre simply verifing that their are no OBDII codes
and that the CEL can be set.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts