The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't do the manual crank one more load! Foot slipped on the side of the bed today. Damn near blew out my shoulder grabbing on for dear life!

Today I ordered an "Aero Easy Cover 55" model with aluminum arms, electric motor, cab controls and mesh tarp. Fully automatic open & close. Should make a nice addition to the IH.

I'm going to try to install it myself. Local truck place wants like $900 to install. :shrug:

·
The Guy Mom Warned About
2,568 Posts
Sounds like the way to go, I'd love to have something like that. But I can't find anything to stand up to the heat of the asphalt. And I think my way's a little tougher, I have to climb in the back and cover the asphalt with carpet, yes carpet. Kinda chinsey but it gets the job done.

·
International Tech.
531 Posts
They are nice man! I set up one on a new quad axle dump and fully integrated it into the factory systems. The guy used to have manual crank as well and every time I saw him, he was talking about how he loved not having to crank the tarp open and closed lol

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Around here nobody covers anything. (Except garbage) They just load it below the box sides. Yes, it makes for some pretty big boxes but that is how they do it

Birken

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it done about 2 weeks ago and what a difference!!!! I love it!

I installed it myself for 1/2 the price the truck places wanted and it only took me about 6 hours to get it done. Worst part was putting the switch behind the dash. The wiring harness looks like battery cable!!!

I got the Aero Economy 55 Easy Cover with aluminum arms & remote electric motor. Directions were not very good :pissed: and there was a lot of left over parts, but it wasn't too bad.

·
4,827 Posts
Duke said:
Foot slipped on the side of the bed today.
That sucks. Glad we can do our tarps up from the ground on the hopper trailers. We have Shur-Lok tarps. The two new trailers have the rear roll return as well. Really helps when it starts getting windy.

http://www.shurco.com/shurco2.html

I see they have an electric setup as well, now. :D

F

·
0 Posts
We tried to put an electric one on a 34' aluminum dump trailer, got mad, and sent it to the shop. Cost was alot, but better then one of us killing the other LOL

·
The Guy Mom Warned About
2,568 Posts
Well, I'm going to have to do something, it seems that at all of the asphalt yards in the areas I work, are no longer allowing climbing on the truck to tarp or trim loads, first time you're caught, you're out for 6 months, apparently OSHA and their Insurance co. have been getting on them.

Plus I don't need to fall out of the back of my truck again. I was covering a load, the wind caught the cover like a sail and pushed me over the side and into the dirt. I wasn't hurt too bad, except the gal in the scale-house said I looked like Wyle E. Coyote falling off a cliff, due to the big dust cloud. So now whenever I go in the, they ask if I've caught the road runner yet.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest reason I did mine was trying to pull the %$*&#'ing tarp over a pile of sharp chunks of concrete or nail imbedded trash without getting the stupid thing caught on a sharp corner, then having to walk out into the mess to free it. That's too damn dangerous anymore for me.

Now you just turn the knob and she goes out over the load just as sweet as can be.

I gotta get one for my little dump, too. :) I'm gonna get some pictures up if I can tomorrow. :)

The cost of the electric tarp is worth every penny in safety & hassles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts